Applying for EM Residency - HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted996361

I'm currently a 3rd year applying for EM auditions. My step 1 is 244 and I'm aiming for programs in SoCal or NYC.

I was wondering if anyone had advice pertaining to the vsas applications, specifically the statement of intent that VSAS asks for? I'm writing about things specific to that program, but I'm having trouble trying to write about things that EVERYONE ELSE won't also target

Also wondering about the timing - what will submitting the application a week or two later than usual do for my chances? A few are open but I'm still getting my vaccinations in order so I can't submit yet

And last question- the "ERAS style photo" - could I take a picture of myself in a business suit against a white wall and still be okay? or does it have to be THAT professionally done?

Thought I would post in the EM resident forum since y'all obviously know what you were doing as a third year if you're here now. Thanks in advance!!

-clueless 3rd year

Members don't see this ad.

1) I don’t think you need to go overboard here. Just write an interest statement that discusses what about the program you like. Don’t need to play any mind games about what you can say to stand out. If you a connection to the area, mention it.

2) applying late is very detrimental. I’d shoot to apply within 12 hours of opening. If you’re late your late, you can still apply, but I’d get on every socal program that hasn’t opened yet and find out exactly when they open. Even 1-2 days late can remove you from the running in some places.

3) photo against a white wall in a suit is fine imo.

Reactions: 1 users
And finally, stay in touch with the programs. I was on the waitlist for a program I liked, so called every 2 days to check on my status.

Obviously don’t be annoying and use your social skills, but some places will just give the spot to whoever called last.

Members don't see this ad :)
@The Knife & Gun Club THANK YOU! it's a stressful process and i feel like everything is all over the place

with regards to scheduling the auditions, do you have any tips? I'm scared I'll confirm a date with one place and then have to change it around once other places open up

I'm currently a 3rd year applying for EM auditions. My step 1 is 244 and I'm aiming for programs in SoCal or NYC.

I was wondering if anyone had advice pertaining to the vsas applications, specifically the statement of intent that VSAS asks for? I'm writing about things specific to that program, but I'm having trouble trying to write about things that EVERYONE ELSE won't also target

Also wondering about the timing - what will submitting the application a week or two later than usual do for my chances? A few are open but I'm still getting my vaccinations in order so I can't submit yet

And last question- the "ERAS style photo" - could I take a picture of myself in a business suit against a white wall and still be okay? or does it have to be THAT professionally done?

Thought I would post in the EM resident forum since y'all obviously know what you were doing as a third year if you're here now. Thanks in advance!!

-clueless 3rd year

Don't worry too much about the statement. DO NOT apply late, because you don't know what their timeline is to review apps for rotation. If they've already reviewed/approved apps by the time you apply, you are screwed. As for the picture, I literally get selfies and don't care but I wouldn't advocate that, haha. It's just a picture. It doesn't need to be a professionally done photo. Taking a photo of you in professional clothes should be more than good enough.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't worry too much about the statement. DO NOT apply late, because you don't know what their timeline is to review apps for rotation. If they've already reviewed/approved apps by the time you apply, you are screwed. As for the picture, I literally get selfies and don't care but I wouldn't advocate that, haha. It's just a picture. It doesn't need to be a professionally done photo. Taking a photo of you in professional clothes should be more than good enough.

I'm gonna piggyback about the applying late and ask if you have any info on what happens when an app opens on the weekend? I've had a couple so far open on a Saturday, I apply that day, but my coordinator won't be in until Monday to do their part and upload extra material like transcripts. Basically what I'm asking is that if the time I uploaded counts, or if it all depends on when my coordinator gets everything done on their end? I hate the thought of missing out on a rotation because some schools have coordinators that do stuff on the weekends and get everything uploaded right away, while mine doesn't.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm gonna piggyback about the applying late and ask if you have any info on what happens when an app opens on the weekend? I've had a couple so far open on a Saturday, I apply that day, but my coordinator won't be in until Monday to do their part and upload extra material like transcripts. Basically what I'm asking is that if the time I uploaded counts, or if it all depends on when my coordinator gets everything done on their end? I hate the thought of missing out on a rotation because some schools have coordinators that do stuff on the weekends and get everything uploaded right away, while mine doesn't.

I don't think that matters. I highly doubt a clerkship coordinator is going to be sitting at their computer on a Friday night, waiting for midnight to strike, so they can approve apps the second it becomes Saturday.

-clueless 3rd year

Clerkship director in Southern California here:

1. The letter of interest is usually not a make or break part of the application, but helps us know if you have specific ties to the geography, program, etc. It's like the personal statement for residency - only occasionally helps or hurts you significantly.
2. If you submit late and the program has already made their decisions, you will not get a rotation there. Since you do not know when this will occur, get it in ASAP once it opens.
3. Photo does not matter to us, as long as it's reasonably professional.

Speaking personally, what we are looking for in an applicant is (1) someone who's application is strong enough that if they do well on the rotation they could match with us, and (2) some history on CV or personal statement that shows they are committed to our patient population / service

Reactions: 3 users

1. The letter of interest is usually not a make or break part of the application, but helps us know if you have specific ties to the geography, program, etc. It's like the personal statement for residency - only occasionally helps or hurts you significantly.
2. If you submit late and the program has already made their decisions, you will not get a rotation there. Since you do not know when this will occur, get it in ASAP once it opens.

Speaking personally, what we are looking for in an applicant is (1) someone who's application is strong enough that if they do well on the rotation they could match with us, and (2) some history on CV or personal statement that shows they are committed to our patient population / service

Thank you for the insight.

Dear M3 that wants to apply to socal programs, take this CD's advice to heart. especially if you like traffic on the 405 and the beach if you catch my drift. ;)

Thank you so much for this, you're so helpful!!! I was planning on writing about being born & raised in socal, then moving across the country for medical school and wanting to come back for good. Does having ties to the area really help that much ?

and by what time does the program usually make decisions after the vsas officially opens?

i completely agree, theres a lot of parts for the coordinators to do and the ones at my school are v slow -_- so it really doesnt matter if we turn in everything on our end , even though the transcript / malpractice / etc isn't finished? will the date still be postmarked as the time WE finished our part?

Dear M3 that wants to apply to socal programs, take this CD's advice to heart. especially if you like traffic on the 405 and the beach if you catch my drift. ;)

405 isn't as bad as the 101 ;) and im dying to come back to the beach after being on the east coast for the past 3 years :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for this, you're so helpful!!! I was planning on writing about being born & raised in socal, then moving across the country for medical school and wanting to come back for good. Does having ties to the area really help that much ?

and by what time does the program usually make decisions after the vsas officially opens?

I cant speak for their program, but I can tell you, geography is often a huge factor in securing AIs. Programs know people choose their residency based on geography many times. Personally, I approve most apps coming from in and around my area (which is maybe 5-10 every year), then a bunch more until we are full.

It does matter often to us because having strong ties to the area increases the likelihood that if the subintern does a good job on the rotation and we want to "keep" them for residency that they will end up choosing our program on match day. We typically try to make decisions ASAP as soon as VSAS opens because we know that we are also on a timeline - other programs are giving out acceptances and we need to get to the subintern applicants before they lock up their schedule with another away. If we wait too long many of the students who applied to 7+ aways will have already accepted a rotation elsewhere, which is not good for us either. If there were a unified opening day for VSAS the process would be more streamlined.

i completely agree, theres a lot of parts for the coordinators to do and the ones at my school are v slow -_- so it really doesnt matter if we turn in everything on our end , even though the transcript / malpractice / etc isn't finished? will the date still be postmarked as the time WE finished our part?

The reality is no one can tell you how this is gonna work with any kind of certainty. Every home institution is different, as is every rotation site.

Some coordinators may just review it without the transcript. Some may put it aside until the transcript posts. Some may silently reject you and you’ll never really know why.

So you just do your best with what you’ve got. Send stuff as quickly as you can, and urge your home people to do the same. Apply broadly.

I had to apply to 17 aways to net 2 spots. Got rejected from all 9 Cali places I applied. And I’m a USMD with solid scores.

And finally, stay in touch with the programs. I was on the waitlist for a program I liked, so called every 2 days to check on my status.

Obviously don’t be annoying and use your social skills, but some places will just give the spot to whoever called last.

Every 2 days honestly sounds pretty annoying.....

The reality is no one can tell you how this is gonna work with any kind of certainty. Every home institution is different, as is every rotation site.

Some coordinators may just review it without the transcript. Some may put it aside until the transcript posts. Some may silently reject you and you’ll never really know why.

So you just do your best with what you’ve got. Send stuff as quickly as you can, and urge your home people to do the same. Apply broadly.

I had to apply to 17 aways to net 2 spots. Got rejected from all 9 Cali places I applied. And I’m a USMD with solid scores.
holy ****, 17 aways for 2 spots? and you submitted everything on time? you're scaring me :(

what were your scores, if you dont mind me asking?

@RPedigo @gamerEMdoc thanks for the insight docs. so if you had an application from someone who was born & raised in socal, went to the east coast for med school, but is solidified in their decision to come back & practice in california, does that count as someone in your region? or am i at a disadvantage since i went to school on the east coast?

holy ****, 17 aways for 2 spots? and you submitted everything on time? you're scaring me :(

Applied to 25+, offered 5 and accepted 3. DO student, above average boards, solid extra curriculars.

I wouldn’t apply to less than 20

@RPedigo @gamerEMdoc thanks for the insight docs. so if you had an application from someone who was born & raised in socal, went to the east coast for med school, but is solidified in their decision to come back & practice in california, does that count as someone in your region? or am i at a disadvantage since i went to school on the east coast?

I consider hometown the biggest geographic predictor of matching personally. People go to med school wherever they can get in. But a big percentage of students prefer to match where they are from or within a certain range from family.

Take everything with a grain of salt though - I have no idea what the average number of applications is, but I applied to 7 programs, 3 of which being in Cali, and received 3 aways (1 in Cali). These were solidly reputable programs that I received spots at too, so don't be scared!

Also, my step 1 score is about 7-10 pts below the EM average and my CK score was not in yet.

@RPedigo @gamerEMdoc after submitting sub-i applications on VSAS, do you recommend also emailing the program to express interest? I dont want to seem annoying but I want to keep my name out there. Like "I am extremely interested in this program for residency, please let me know if there is anything else i can do" ?

Honestly, we don't use VSAS, we have students directly contact us through our website so I can't help you there. Typically I would say not to bug programs, just apply through VSAS, but as someone that doesn't use the system, I'll let someone else tackle this one.

@RPedigo @gamerEMdoc after submitting sub-i applications on VSAS, do you recommend also emailing the program to express interest? I dont want to seem annoying but I want to keep my name out there. Like "I am extremely interested in this program for residency, please let me know if there is anything else i can do" ?

Some programs list when they will make decisions on their website. For those that don't I usually waited 3-4 weeks after submission and then you can send an email just confirming interest and checking when decisions might be made. Otherwise, wait till after they say they are going to release spots and then email them if you don't get one.

@RPedigo @gamerEMdoc do you know about how long it usually takes to accept someone from the date they submit the application, and if i'm rejected will i find out ? im just trying to gauge how to set up my dates that align with other programs

Im sure it varies from program to program. I dont look at apps for 4th year rotations until after the match. The match lets you guage how competitive you were, what schools/regions you did well with, what board score range you matched well in, etc. Thats all important info when deciding on rotations for the next year.

@RPedigo @gamerEMdoc do you know about how long it usually takes to accept someone from the date they submit the application, and if i'm rejected will i find out ? im just trying to gauge how to set up my dates that align with other programs

I do not think you need to separately e-mail people when you submitted a VSAS application. There is no specific timeline for after submitting a VSAS application to hearing back, it depends on when the clerkship director and/or their committee reviews files and makes decisions. They realize that they need to get to subinterns early though so they do not make alternative arrangements for rotations. I do think if you have a "first choice" subinternship and you are on a deadline to accept an alternative away rotation, it is reasonable to e-mail the clerkship director and let them know that (e.g., Harbor is my first choice but I need to make a decision on a September rotation at another institution by next week). That way I can either give the subintern a spot and they can not accept the alternative subinternship rotation, or let them know it is full / they are unlikely to get a spot so they can feel good about their decision to take the alternative spot. Unfortunately since there's no unified VSAS match process, opening of applications and subsequent acceptances happen at quite varied times. We open on Tuesday, March 17th and then we have our decisions committee meeting on Tuesday, March 24th, when most of the spots are then given out. Applications processed more than a week after VSAS opening for us therefore are less likely to be able to be considered.

@RPedigo @gamerEMdoc sorry for being annoying, your advice is just really helpful! one more question, i took my COMAT shelf (i'm a DO) and for EM i missed the honors by 2 points. However, I honored all of my other rotations so far (IM, FM, surgery). is this going to be a red flag for admissions, or does it not matter because I got an A in the rotation? I just thought it would look bad that I don't have honors on the EM rotation but i do on the other ones... and i want to go into em.... :(

@RPedigo @gamerEMdoc sorry for being annoying, your advice is just really helpful! one more question, i took my COMAT shelf (i'm a DO) and for EM i missed the honors by 2 points. However, I honored all of my other rotations so far (IM, FM, surgery). is this going to be a red flag for admissions, or does it not matter because I got an A in the rotation? I just thought it would look bad that I don't have honors on the EM rotation but i do on the other ones... and i want to go into em.... :(

In my opinion, no one will care. Assuming SLOEs are still a thing this year, people will care more about your sloe rankings than how you did on an EM comat exam.