Applying for internship and potentially declining?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreVetGator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a current 4th year at cornell and am contemplating doing a rotating internship after graduation, or due to some personal circumstances that make it a bit difficult to move away from my current location, I may decide to work a year near cornell and then do an internship the following year. My question is regarding matching into an internship and then declining it. Would I then be blacklisted from all internship programs moving forward? I understand I may not get accepted into that specific internship the following year, but would the option still be available for other programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I am a current 4th year at cornell and am contemplating doing a rotating internship after graduation, or due to some personal circumstances that make it a bit difficult to move away from my current location, I may decide to work a year near cornell and then do an internship the following year. My question is regarding matching into an internship and then declining it. Would I then be blacklisted from all internship programs moving forward? I understand I may not get accepted into that specific internship the following year, but would the option still be available for other programs?
If you match to a program and decline the spot, you are barred from applying to any program in the match for 3 years, outside of extreme extenuating circumstances

Reactions: 2 users