Applying for medical school a year early

Started by ranob
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Consider the average age of matriculation is increasing, you'd need a very competitive application.

I'd highly suggest you give all your metrics and hours in the 'What are my chances' forums for more specific help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Syns Thanks for the suggestion; I'll probably do that once I get my mcat score.
@generic I'm personally of the opinion that life is worth only as much as what you make of it. That is, the ten years spent on the top of the hill are worth more than the thirty spent before and after. Each to his own.
 
@Syns Thanks for the suggestion; I'll probably do that once I get my mcat score.
@generic I'm personally of the opinion that life is worth only as much as what you make of it. That is, the ten years spent on the top of the hill are worth more than the thirty spent before and after. Each to his own.

I'm struggling to see how your analogy is relevant. You didn't even give us any insight to your situation. Have you even taken the MCAT or classes required for it? Do you have enough credits to even get your bachelors a year early? In the post you linked, the OP was trying to cut a fat hog by using AP credits from high school, which doesn't work for pre-reqs. What is going to happen is you're going to waste an app cycle by applying when you aren't ready and then you will be labeled a reapplicant which will hurt your chances even more. Patience is a virtue. Your piss-poor analogy of being on top of the hill is over one measly year in undergrad. Don't blow it by being stupid.
 
I'm struggling to see how your analogy is relevant. You didn't even give us any insight to your situation. Have you even taken the MCAT or classes required for it? Do you have enough credits to even get your bachelors a year early? In the post you linked, the OP was trying to cut a fat hog by using AP credits from high school, which doesn't work for pre-reqs. What is going to happen is you're going to waste an app cycle by applying when you aren't ready and then you will be labeled a reapplicant which will hurt your chances even more. Patience is a virtue. Your piss-poor analogy of being on top of the hill is over one measly year in undergrad. Don't blow it by being stupid.

Hes a gunner 19 year old. You cant really expect much more.
 
I wouldn't say gunner. He probably doesn't even have actual chops to cut it. That's not a gunner

Yea I guess. When I think of gunner, I think of someone extremely overzealous whether or not they can actually make it.
 
I know several people at my school (a state school) applied the summer after their sophomore year and made it, so if you think you'll have enough extracurriculars, shadowing, LORs and have a good MCAT by then, I say go for it.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These past threads by the OP seem to indicate some concerning psychological issues. Lots of unresolved anger here.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/changing-minds-negotiation-tactics.1130955/#post-16394350
tldr: how can I psychologically and verbally manipulate a dumb bureaucrat into giving me what I want?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...can-premed-university-to-transfer-to.1130072/
tldr: super butthurt about my current uni, am looking to transfer w/ ridiculous expectations and to get back at the unfair bureaucrats ruining my life. And so much more 😀 (ie: normal professors are dumber than med school professors...?!)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/paid-work-experience-under-a-fake-name.1131693/
tldr: this one is beautiful. Holding a fake job under a fake name and pretending to have graduated from college. How can I trick the bureaucrats and put it on my med school apps?

And now this thread.

Seriously, what is your deal with labeling every adult you work with a dirty government bureaucrat?
 
Last edited:
SDN can be such a piss poor place to get advice if you dare go against the "SDN norm"

OP I had five students in my class that applied to med school as a rising junior (they were graduating in three years) and every single one of them got into medical school, ranging from WashU of St. Louis to Temple and Drexel. Yes it can be done, so if you want a year less of undergrad it's absolutely doable but just as other forewarned, make sure your app is up to speed, just because you're graduating a year early does not mean you will receive any sort of leniency
 
"3) professors have enough autonomy to make decisions that are not based on university politics and do not advance their own careers at the expense of undergraduate students."

This guy legitimately seems like a maniac, pretty hilarious. Expect a post in 10 months complaining that med schools wouldn't waive all volunteering and shadowing requirements for him.
 
Dont you think calling anyone that doesnt make it in the pre-med world a loser too harsh?

Its not exactly an easy route. In fact its most likely the hardest undergrad route there is.
Nope, I think calling gunners who don't make it losers is just fine
 
Anyone know how feasible it is to apply for med school admission a year early (as a rising junior), if graduating a year early? I've found one success story (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/graduating-early-and-applying-for-medical-school.351173/) involving a sophomore getting accepted to UTMB, but would like to hear a couple more. Thanks in advance.
It's feasible. It's just a matter of how much you've accomplished since then. Given how competitive the process is, it's not uncommon for people to take a gap year or two to boost their app. So tread carefully before applying and ensure that you are ready.
 
@avgn sent you a PM

@NotASerialKiller Forgive me for being overly idealistic. At the time I thought what I was experiencing was the exception rather than the norm.

@generic I've taken bio & orgo, and am taking biochem this semester. After which I'll take the MCAT and then in theory can apply.

@steelersfan1243 Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear.
 
@avgn sent you a PM

@NotASerialKiller Forgive me for being overly idealistic. At the time I thought what I was experiencing was the exception rather than the norm.

@generic I've taken bio & orgo, and am taking biochem this semester. After which I'll take the MCAT and then in theory can apply.

@steelersfan1243 Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear.
What's your ECs like?
 
@Holmwood I have two research opportunities lined up for this year. One is more medically related than the other. Besides that I'll make sure to squeeze shadowing and volunteering in.
 
Besides that I'll make sure to squeeze shadowing and volunteering in.
You don't necessarily need either shadowing or volunteering to get in. Invest in MSAR and look at the numbers yourself
 
These past threads by the OP seem to indicate some concerning psychological issues. Lots of unresolved anger here.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/changing-minds-negotiation-tactics.1130955/#post-16394350
tldr: how can I psychologically and verbally manipulate a dumb bureaucrat into giving me what I want?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...can-premed-university-to-transfer-to.1130072/
tldr: super butthurt about my current uni, am looking to transfer w/ ridiculous expectations and to get back at the unfair bureaucrats ruining my life. And so much more 😀 (ie: normal professors are dumber than med school professors...?!)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/paid-work-experience-under-a-fake-name.1131693/
tldr: this one is beautiful. Holding a fake job under a fake name and pretending to have graduated from college. How can I trick the bureaucrats and put it on my med school apps?

And now this thread.

Seriously, what is your deal with labeling every adult you work with a dirty government bureaucrat?
Quoting for emphasis. I would be wary of taking this thread seriously given OP's past track record of posting. Apparently it is a service agreement violation to engage trolls/liars (I doubled checked the site's terms), so we might all be in for violations if we continue falling for this.

Someone lock this, maybe @Ismet since you had the privilege of getting rid of the last one?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You know, when I first started posting on this site, I considered making a separate throwaway account for each post. I decided not to, because who would have the time or motivation to keep track of every post I made and then use these posts to relentlessly derail my threads? Turns out, avgn has the time and avgn has the motivation (I seem to have offended his sensibilities). I've already sent him a PM politely asking him to stay out of my threads, but he seems intent on derailing them. What a pity.
 
You know, when I first started posting on this site, I considered making a separate throwaway account for each post. I decided not to, because who would have the time or motivation to keep track of every post I made and then use these posts to relentlessly derail my threads? Turns out, avgn has the time and avgn has the motivation (I seem to have offended his sensibilities). I've already sent him a PM politely asking him to stay out of my threads, but he seems intent on derailing them. A pity.
1) Making multiple accounts is a clear violation of the terms of service (I just read them for another purpose, so trust me).
2) Questioning a poster's intention does not count as derailing a thread. It serves the community not to have to deal with posters with an unproductive history. I was not even the first to find your old posts, @md-2020 was.
3) I have made other honest contributions/advice to this thread.
 
You know, when I first started posting on this site, I considered making a separate throwaway account for each post. I decided not to, because who would have the time or motivation to keep track of every post I made and then use these posts to relentlessly derail my threads? Turns out, avgn has the time and avgn has the motivation (I seem to have offended his sensibilities). I've already sent him a PM politely asking him to stay out of my threads, but he seems intent on derailing them. A pity.
That was actually me, as you can see in the post above.

And it took about 30 seconds total, by clicking on your profile and selecting "postings."

Not our fault you post this hilarious stuff.
 
These past threads by the OP seem to indicate some concerning psychological issues. Lots of unresolved anger here.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/changing-minds-negotiation-tactics.1130955/#post-16394350
tldr: how can I psychologically and verbally manipulate a dumb bureaucrat into giving me what I want?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...can-premed-university-to-transfer-to.1130072/
tldr: super butthurt about my current uni, am looking to transfer w/ ridiculous expectations and to get back at the unfair bureaucrats ruining my life. And so much more 😀 (ie: normal professors are dumber than med school professors...?!)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/paid-work-experience-under-a-fake-name.1131693/
tldr: this one is beautiful. Holding a fake job under a fake name and pretending to have graduated from college. How can I trick the bureaucrats and put it on my med school apps?

And now this thread.

Seriously, what is your deal with labeling every adult you work with a dirty government bureaucrat?
OH GOD ITS THIS KID.
Bahahahaha.
I'm dying right now, I commented on one way back when.
Anyway, I was to know how did your meeting with the "upper level bureaucrat" go?
 
@samac Any ECs in particular that you'd like to recommend? I think that if papers are published, research can result in a strong application. Thanks in advance.
 
...
@generic I'm personally of the opinion that life is worth only as much as what you make of it. That is, the ten years spent on the top of the hill are worth more than the thirty spent before and after. Each to his own.

Um no. The valuable parts of life are the climb, and those of us who have figured this out realize that you can always push yourselves higher -- you should never reach the top of the hill. The time at any such "top" is always fleeting and disappointing, and it's all downhill from there. Realize that the meaning of life is the journey, not the destination and you'll be much better off. In terms of application process the number one biggest mistake people make is rushing things. There is no timeline and I'd argue that the person who paced themselves and got onto a better path is the "winner" even if you graduate med school a year earlier. Sadly the people who are most in a rush tend to be those who'd benefit most from a few more years of life before medicine. It's a long tunnel you are entering into and the light at the end of the tunnel is often a train.
 
I have to agree with Law2Doc, even as an undergraduate student. In my sophomore year, I learned of a major obstacle that may have delayed med school matriculation for several years. My heart almost stopped when I learned this; the world seemed to be collapsing on my dreams. Then, after several months of introspection I discovered my end goal is not medical school but lifelong dedication to learning, service, and patient care as a physician. Although med school is an essential part of that journey, you shouldn't be in a rush to just tick that checkbox. If I don't get in one year, I will learn more about the field, gain more experience, and become a better applicant for future cycles. After this epiphany, all the hills in my path flattened out. Just sayin, it feels good to loosen up a bit.
 
I see what Xen, L2D, and generic are saying with regards to traditional medicine being a marathon. Key word being traditional. However, I'm thinking of using my MD for nonclinical purposes. Like David Heckerman. Or a bunch of other people whose names I can't remember at the moment. This should probably clarify much of the confusion regarding the hill analogy. Different strokes for different folks.
 
My n=2, but it is difficult to get in when applying after sophomore year. It's not a matter of no having the grades or scores or how many years of classes you have taken, it's about experience and maturity. It's hard to compete against people who have 3+ years of experiences when you only have 2. It's not impossible, but it is challenging. Roughly half of my med school class was non-traditional. People had done Americorps, Teach for America, traveled to Peru for several months, gone on a wide range of mission trips, had gotten another degree (Pharm.D. and Ph.D, in addition to various Master's degrees).

I thought I was mature, but my 19 year old self was a very different person from my 21 year old self when I reapplied.