applying for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Advendentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying for the next cycle, but have many questions

1.) should i ask my teachers to send letters of recomendation directly to the school or to AADSAS?

2.) When do you recomend i take the DAT?

3.) where did you get help with your essay?

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE 2006 APPLICANTS, REMEMBER if YOU DONT GET ACCEPTED NOW, DONT EVER GIVE UP YOUR DREAMS.

Members don't see this ad.

1. most schools ask you to send the letter through AADSAS. If you submit your AADSAS application early you will have no problem in your letters getting to the schools.

2. take the dat when you are ready to nail it, that said, do not wait too long, sometime before September. Remember, it will take AADSAS close to 2 months to send your application to dental schools. 3-4 weeks to verify your gpa and another few weeks to send it. And it takes the ADA less then a week to send your DAT scores.

KEY is to SUBMIT your application EARLY!!!!

3. Ask your english teachers to review your essay or the pre-medical or pre-dental club or advisor. Start working on it now since it's the hardest part of the application.

Advendentist said:

1.) should i ask my teachers to send letters of recomendation directly to the school or to AADSAS?

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE 2006 APPLICANTS, REMEMBER if YOU DONT GET ACCEPTED NOW, DONT EVER GIVE UP YOUR DREAMS.

Hey, glad to see you are applying, the compettition is going to become alot stiffer as more and more are entering this wonderful profession. As for (1)...check with your school and see if you have a health professions and legal advising office, or any letter holding office, this office is usually on campus and can hold the letters for you in a file until ready to be sent. If applying early, which I highly advise, just send the letters through AADSAS, fortunately I didn't have any mix ups with mine, but I have heard quite a few people with that dillema. Now for (2)...I reccomend you take your DAT in May/June. This will give you time to retake if neccesary and still be compettitive. Plan on taking a light spring semester so you can study your heart out.... As for my personal statement, this took me a good five months to write...so many ideas and so much of your life to include in only a page and a quarter, it does take time to genuinely feel satisfied with your peice. Count on rewriting and revising it often. I eventually got a few dentists to review mine, along with friends, and even a few SDNers...thanks guys ;). My biggest advice to you is to apply early...you don't want to be caught up in the doldrums of late July and August applying...it seems everyone applies during that time. So APPLY EARLY, and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you guys, this info really helps. :thumbup:

Advendentist said:

To help you get your recomendations in a timely matter include a self-addressed envelope with stamp if necessary. Professors like this and it makes it easier for them to get it done. Check with your predent/premed advisor they usually will collect your recommedations for you in a file, then just have them send it off to AADSAS which worked perfectly for me.

EARLY applications are key for acceptance. Take the DAT when your ready but understand most schools don't consider your application complete until they receive your DAT score. I recommend you sumbit your application in May, AADSAS will mail it out approximately 6 weeks from the day you submit and so take the DAT around June or July, ideally June.

Essayedge.com will help you as well, it will cost a little money but it's worth it. They don't write your essay for you of course, but they will help you with grammar, punctuation, and suggestions to help with the organization and flow of essay.

I can't emphasize EARLY Submission enough. Don't make the same mistake I made. Good luck :)