Applying for one

Started by sangl1979
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sangl1979

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's been couple years now since I've been here... last time it was right when I was about to start pharamcy school... i've made it and time for rotations, yay!! anyways, i'm thinking about doing residencies but kinda lost... i have some general ideas, but.. anyways one big question is how many sites should i apply for residencies?? i've heard 4-5 sites.. i'm wondering if that is enough, less, too much?? etc? any feedback is appreciated! thanx~🙂
 
It's been couple years now since I've been here... last time it was right when I was about to start pharamcy school... i've made it and time for rotations, yay!! anyways, i'm thinking about doing residencies but kinda lost... i have some general ideas, but.. anyways one big question is how many sites should i apply for residencies?? i've heard 4-5 sites.. i'm wondering if that is enough, less, too much?? etc? any feedback is appreciated! thanx~🙂

I think 4-5 is quite reasonable but it may depend. You have to do a very honest assessment with yourself. Are you competitive compared to the programs you're applying to? For instance if you're applying to more highly competitve programs then you might want to apply to more than 5 (you can always decline an interview). Also you have to remember that most interviews are in January-February when most schools are still on rotations. This means you'll have to work out your schedule with your preceptors, if you apply to 8 for example and get offerred interviews at all 8 you'll have to find the time to go and interview. I applied to 5 and accepted interviews at 4 places. I found it hectic just because I had 2 out of state interviews. I also had to make up every hour that I missed so I worked 4, 10 hour shifts and interivewed on my 5th day. It was a rough month but definately worth it. I would also definately suggest going to Midyear. This may help you narrow down your search. Good luck with your residency quest!
 
I think 4-5 is quite reasonable but it may depend. You have to do a very honest assessment with yourself. Are you competitive compared to the programs you're applying to? For instance if you're applying to more highly competitve programs then you might want to apply to more than 5 (you can always decline an interview). Also you have to remember that most interviews are in January-February when most schools are still on rotations. This means you'll have to work out your schedule with your preceptors, if you apply to 8 for example and get offerred interviews at all 8 you'll have to find the time to go and interview. I applied to 5 and accepted interviews at 4 places. I found it hectic just because I had 2 out of state interviews. I also had to make up every hour that I missed so I worked 4, 10 hour shifts and interivewed on my 5th day. It was a rough month but definately worth it. I would also definately suggest going to Midyear. This may help you narrow down your search. Good luck with your residency quest!


I agree with translucent. I really didn't know how to go about persuing a residnecy so I applied to 10 places, later, i realized that it would be expensive to go to all the places so I withdrew from 1 place, so out of the 9, i got 8 interviews. I then withdrew from 2 more interviews and interviewed at a total of 6. Even with 6 interviews, it was still expensive and lost all my weekends in jan and feb. I think you should apply to the ones you are interested in, but only consider interviewing at 4-5 places imho. But it is harder to place... this year ~2100 applied and 1400 placed, with like 300 sites not placing... so i guess if you really want one, apply to more?