Applying for OT and PT at same school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesport78

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope everyone's applications are going well! Quick question...

I'm planning on applying to 5 PT and 5 OT schools, but is it possible to apply to an OT and PT program at the same college/university? I definitely wouldn't want to compromise my chance for admission if applying to both programs is considered a negative, so hopefully somebody can fill me in. Just want to keep my options open! Thanks and happy 4th!:D

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion this would work against you. All this shows is that you haven't decided where your true passion is. If you are truly interested in both OT and PT, I would consider applying to the University of St. Augustine (a non PTCAS school) since they have a rare duel OT/PT program.

Don't waste your time and $. If you're unsure, go for OT and leave the seat for someone who is more dedicated to PT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do see your conflict since PT school is challenging to get into but at the same time, these guys are right. It will look pretty bad if the admissions committee finds out your applying for both at any school really... They want someone who will be 100% dedicated to PT. So it really is an all or nothing type of deal. As a student though, I see your conflict because OT is your backup plan...Im assuming? lol Honestly, my plan was to apply for nothing but DPT programs. If it didn't work out, I would have re-evaluated everything and either reapply or apply for OT or PTA as a backup plan with the possibility of applying for DPT again after more experience..

You need to decide now what you want to study. You seem undecided. I would apply to USA's Dual Program. Otherwise, apply to only OT or only PT schools.

Kevin

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments. Truthfully, I have experience in both fields, and I really wanted to keep my options open. PT was always my first choice, and if I end up getting into a PT AND OT program, I have no doubt that PT will be the choice. I sincerely wanted a backup plan incase I wasn't accepted to any PT programs. I understand where everybody is coming from though.

That's not that different than applying to med school and dental school at the same university simultaneously...it just doesn't sound as bad because they both have the word "therapy" in them...

@thesport78

Keep in mind that while PTs and OTs are in the rehabilitation business, they approach problems very differently. PTs are much more linear-sequential in their thinking and approach. They want firm answers and are often very much medically focused.

OTs may be more gestalt, holistic thinkers who pay much more attention to the interconnectedness of people and their environments, culture, history, etc. OT programs even discuss spirituality and the role of religion and religiosity in treatment plans. I don't know of many PT programs that would do the same.

At the same time, OT is not necessarily easier to get into than PT. At Indiana, both are highly competitive.

Best,

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
[email protected]
shrs.iupui.edu

Josh, I really appreciate your comments and I completely understand what you're saying.

It's a dilemma for me because I'm a highly active person. I've done numerous bodybuilding shows and also interned with Rutgers' athletic training and strength and conditioning staff. I would thoroughly enjoy focusing on orthopedics/sports medicine as I love working with athletes of all age groups.

On the other hand, my mother unfortunately suffers from multiple sclerosis, and I was inspired by how OT's have helped to better my mom's quality of life. It's also extremely important for me to help people become as independent and functional as possible.

Hence, I feel a connection with both fields, and I guess I'm looking for direction right now.

Adding to what you said and speaking from personal experience, I love routine. I'm a very meticulous person who puts an importance on being punctual and being consistent with my actions, so maybe PT would be a better fit.

Hopefully this will shed some light on my situation and I look forward to conversing with more of you!

Hey guys, hope everyone's applications are going well! Quick question...

I'm planning on applying to 5 PT and 5 OT schools, but is it possible to apply to an OT and PT program at the same college/university? I definitely wouldn't want to compromise my chance for admission if applying to both programs is considered a negative, so hopefully somebody can fill me in. Just want to keep my options open! Thanks and happy 4th!:D
thesport78,

About a year ago when I was applying to schools, I was thinking of doing the exact same thing. My stats were mediocre, and OT was slightly easier to get into than PT at several of the schools I was planning on applying to. They are similar professions with similar pay, I had observed lots of OT, and I knew I would be okay with going to OT school if I did not get accepted to PT school.

However, I was worried for the same reasons you are. I was worried that it would make me look undedicated to PT, and that I didn't know what I wanted. So, I did what I tell people to do on this forum all the time when they have these sorts of questions. I called the school and asked.The admissions office ensured me that my application information was very private, and that neither program would know that I applied to the other.

I ended up not applying to OT school, just PT school. Good Luck!