Applying for PM&R in the fall of 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

absolutetp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! This is the first time I am using this site and I must say that it's already been quite helpful. I can't believe that I didn't know this site exsisted until now. Yes, I'm a ****** for that. Anyways, I need some help/guidance.

I am currently in my 4th year of medschool in Louisiana and in the process of applying for residency and studying for step 2. I am definitely interested in PM&R, but I am really concerned about not getting into a good program. Ideally I want to be in the northeast, NYC or Boston preferably, but anywhere up there is fine. Chicago and DC are also places I wouldn't mind. My biggest concern is my horrible step 1 score. And I do mean horrible (below 80 percentile). Obviously this explains why I am taking step 2 early. My grades are good, not great. Definitely not AOA, but I am sure they could be worse. My LOR should be fine as well as the extra-curricular activities.

Will that bad step 1 score really prevent me from getting into a good program of my choice? What advise do any of you have for me? Obviously I need to do better on step 2. Have any of you been in this situation? Were you able to get into the program of your choice? I know PM&R is getting more competitive everyday, so that's why I am asking. I am doing an elective rotation at RIC, NYU or Mt.Sinai (have to work out some details) and St. Vincents in Manhattan. I am assuming doing elective rotations is key in trying to get a spot at these programs.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. And please be frank with me. You won't hurt my feelings, believe me. Thanks for reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

What does below 8oth percentile mean? an 80th percentile score on the USMLE is like a 237/95. DO you mean your 2 digit score was below an 80? What was your 3 digit score. Anything below 200 won't look good, but a good step 2 score can make up for it. Get it done early, get it done well.

NF