Applying for the DAT test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smashing2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont understand how im supposed to apply for this test. I went through the site and entered my information, and then went to the payment page. its $445, but it doesn't show where i can find the test centers or when i have to take the test. I went to their guide, and it said that they'll review the application after the payment and if they're okay with it, i can apply for a date to take the test. What if the application doesn't qualify? What are the qualifications for it? I dont want to waste $445.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically the application is them putting your information into the system and making sure you haven't exceeded the amount of times you are allowed to take the DAT or that you are waiting the 90 day period for a retake. When you apply, you need to pay upfront and they should send you a conformation email with your DENT pin a couple of days later. The dent pin is what you use to schedule your appointment via the prometric website.

Reactions: 1 users
To answer the second part, don't worry, I think if for whatever reason the application doesn't qualify, they will refund the $445 (or maybe they only charge the card once the confirmation email is sent out; if no email is ever sent out, then your card was never charged).

And if the application qualifies and they send me a schedule, but i cant make it to the test in either of those schedules, will i still get the refund?

Members don't see this ad :)
And if the application qualifies and they send me a schedule, but i cant make it to the test in either of those schedules, will i still get the refund?

They don't exactly send you a schedule - you get to select a Prometric testing center (you can choose from multiple centers) and view the available dates/times at those centers. There will be many within the 6 month window you are eligible to take the test in.

Hmm okay.
I kind of wish they did it like the mcat or gre does it where you know the centers beforehand.
but will i get the refund if i cant make it to any of the 6 month window?

I tried calling them this morning and afternoon about it but no one was available.

Last edited:
Hmm okay.
I kind of wish they did it like the mcat or gre does it where you know the centers beforehand.
but will i get the refund if i cant make it to any of the 6 month window?

I tried calling them this morning and afternoon about it but no one was available.

I'm not sure they'll refund you for not being able to make it to any in the 6 month window. The 6 month window lets you select whichever Prometric center you want to use and whatever testing dates are available (and there are usually many). It's not like the MCAT with scheduled dates, to take the DAT there basically just needs to be availability at the testing center. It's really unlikely you wouldn't find a time and date that work for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm okay.
but i will get the refund if i cant make it to any of the 6 month window.

Don't worry, the DAT is administered every day (Sundays too!) and at a bunch of different times. I can guarantee you will find a date within that 6 month window that works for you. Kind of weird how no one answered the phone..no idea why.

EDIT: went through my emails, and found that paid at 9:40pm one day, and my eligibility was confirmed the next day at 3:30pm, so really quick. It should be quick for you too, and then you can see what the dates are and go from there, maybe contact the ADA directly for help regarding refunds. Hope this helps! :)