Applying for Urology as an Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

Kannen1979

I am a female DO student who has matched with an osteopathic internship in Chicago for a 1 year contract. I applied to Urology (DO programs only) and was ranked well with a couple but not well enough. I would like to reapply to urology for the following year, my step 1 COMLEX was above average but not quite as high as they usually look for, I take step 2 in a few days. Did some (gyne) research with a published abstract and won an award for my poster presentation of the same abstract at the AOA convention. Other leadership stuff om my CV blah, blah . . .what I want to know is, what can I do, if anything, to improve my chances of getting a uro spot next time (obviously I'll have the one year of residency under my belt), and if there is any hope of getting a chicago based allopathic uro spot if I get really good recommendation letters, etc. (I also plan to mention in my PS that I am willing to repeat a year or take a year off to do doctors without borders or research if needed).

I love urology, I can't imaging doing anything else. Which is why I'm getting back on the horse.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How did you get away with not taking Step II before graduation?

Shouldn't you have that score before graduating? At least that's how it should be.

I am currently a 4th year medical student, I take step 2 on Tuesday (2 months before graduation) I'll be an intern starting in July when I will be reapplying for Urology.