Applying IM- Lower Step2ck score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ko8e24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wanted to receive your thoughts on my application so far.

USMD low tier
Step 1: 244
Step 2CK: 237 (bummed about this!)
Honors in IM. Top 25th percentile IM Shelf score. Great IM comments.
7 H, 1 HP in third year rotations (school is relatively grade-inflated)
2 LORS so far: one from IM attending, one IM chair letter.
Good mix of research (3 posters, 1 manuscript submission), volunteer (good amount of work w/ underserved), and work experiences

Matching at a good academic IM program is the goal. What things can I do to maximize my chances?

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really don't think you should be that bummed about your step 2 score. The rest of your app seems solid.

I'd say you have a good shot, just apply wisely to dream, target, and backup programs. But there are many on this forum with more informed opinions than mine.

Reactions: 1 users
I really don't think you should be that bummed about your step 2 score. The rest of your app seems solid.

I'd say you have a good shot, just apply wisely to dream, target, and backup programs. But there are many on this forum with more informed opinions than mine.
This ^^^. It looks like you have done everything you could, other than maybe score higher on Step 2, to set yourself up for success.

Just how "good" is good, relative to where you are now? Given that you received a letter from the chair, you should have no trouble matching back to your home program. Is there a reason you wouldn't want to do that?

If so, you should still be fine if you listen to @Darrow O'Lykos and apply widely, since IM isn't hyper competitive. A lot will depend on how well respected your letter writers are at the places you want to go, and whether they take the extra step to make calls on your behalf.

Reactions: 1 users