Applying in '09 for fall '10??

Started by Renkat2sj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Renkat2sj

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey nontrads . . . I have been reading the 2008 acceptance thread and feeling anxious and jealous (but also proud, of course!!) so i was thinking i'd see who else out there will be applying during the same cycle as me . . . since we will all be on the 2010 acceptance list together?? 🙂 i didn't realize there were so many of us until just now when i read the '2 years away from med' thread . . .

I am going to be finishing my MS in spring/summer of 09 and start applying then . . . i am a little worried about trying to finish a thesis and study for the MCAT at the same time, but if i dont finish my MS til summer or fall i think it'll be ok.

where are all you in the process?
 
I am also planning on applying in '09 for '10 matriculation. I am starting my prereqs now (I'm retaking the 3 I'd already taken due to their age and my complete lack of memory regarding their contents). I am also pursing a second bachelor's in Chemistry, because I realized I'd only need 6 more classes past the prereqs to complete it, and I've always enjoyed Chemistry.

My background - I am almost 32 and married w/6 kids. I have a BA in History and worked in IT for 8 years before quitting to stay home with the family for a bit. I teach a computing class as an adjunct at a local community college and volunteer at the local Shock Trauma twice a week (and love it!). My UG GPA is pretty low (3.1), so I'm already trying to prep a bit for the MCAT and make sure I have all my ducks in a row to show that I'm not the same undirected person I was 10/15 years ago.

Thanks for starting this thread, I look forward to meeting more class of 2014 hopefuls!

-Debbi
 
Hey nontrads . . . I have been reading the 2008 acceptance thread and feeling anxious and jealous (but also proud, of course!!) so i was thinking i'd see who else out there will be applying during the same cycle as me . . . since we will all be on the 2010 acceptance list together?? 🙂 i didn't realize there were so many of us until just now when i read the '2 years away from med' thread . . .

I am going to be finishing my MS in spring/summer of 09 and start applying then . . . i am a little worried about trying to finish a thesis and study for the MCAT at the same time, but if i dont finish my MS til summer or fall i think it'll be ok.

where are all you in the process?


I am also going to be applying in 09 for matriculation in 10. I am finishing up my masters in May and then heading back to the wide world of pre-reqs! I will finish up my last set of classes (Orgo II, Phys II, and Bio II) give myself about a month of dedicated study before heading into the MCAT. I cannot imagine heading into the MCAT while finishing up/writing a thesis. So renk are you hardcore or just totally crazy?:laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey nontrads . . . I have been reading the 2008 acceptance thread and feeling anxious and jealous (but also proud, of course!!) so i was thinking i'd see who else out there will be applying during the same cycle as me . . . since we will all be on the 2010 acceptance list together?? 🙂 i didn't realize there were so many of us until just now when i read the '2 years away from med' thread . . .

I am going to be finishing my MS in spring/summer of 09 and start applying then . . . i am a little worried about trying to finish a thesis and study for the MCAT at the same time, but if i dont finish my MS til summer or fall i think it'll be ok.

where are all you in the process?


You're worried? I will be working full time (I'm an aerospace engineer), taking pre-reqs at night, studying for the MCAT, AND volunteering at the hospital all at the same time. Holy crap! 😱
 
i work fulltime in television news which generally requires more than 40 hrs per week, taking phys 2 and orgo 2, planning a wedding, and studying for the MCAT...i dont know what free time is anymore


im taking the test on april 5th so i can have time to retake if necessary but my goal is to not even consider that a possibility unless its absolutely necessary...mostly its because i want to be ahead of the curve and have everything ready to go by june 1...

i just took my first practice exam this mornin and got a 22. Having not completed physics 2 or orgo 2 and having not even cracked the chem review or bio reviews i was pretty happy...i feel like its a good base from which to work from...
 
So renk are you hardcore or just totally crazy?:laugh:

i think i've been called both. i'd imagine its hard to do this without being a little of both!

i think it will be ok. my PI is really great and she knows my situation, so we've settled on a project that will be . . . finishable. and if i dont finish by summer 09 i think it will be ok to apply to school with the MS in progress- I'll certainly be able to finish by fall of '10! (although I hope it doesnt take THAT long.) As far as the MCAT goes, well, I am spending from now til then taking all the prereqs i havent taken yet (chem, orgo, physics) while getting my masters in bio, so at least the concepts will all be fresh. it'll be more just a matter of getting my test-taking skills sharp.

i'll be busy, for sure, but i like it better that way- the faster it's over with the better... 2010 seems so far away :scared:
 
2010 does seem so far away. But the time can be used to your advantage (as it seems you already know). I also find that time passes much faster if you try not to concentrate on it... so I guess we are doomed!!!!!!!!!!😱
 
I am also applying in '09 for matriculation in '10. I am taking my pre-reqs starting in two months.
 
Count me in as well. I graduated college in 2006, worked for a year or so in finance, and then made the switch. Im in my second semester of taking pre-reqs. I've also starteed volunteering at a free health clinic and have an interview this week to try to line up a clinical research gig.
 
I'm a systems engineer and working on switching career at the age of 30. I'm starting to take my prerequisite courses this semester at night after work. I usually work about 50 to 60 hrs per week. My undergrad was in Computer Science back in 2001 and I didn't have any of the prereq then. I also finished my MBA last summer. I'm starting with Gen Chem I and Gen Phy I. Hoping to finish all 8 by the end of Spring 09 and take the MCAT by the end of May 09. Good luck to all of us in 2010 👍
 
I am on the same path. MCAT May 09', M1 2010, class of 2014! I started my pre-reqs last week. Spring 08'-chem I, pre-calc, cell bio. Summer 08'-Calc I, Chem II. Fall 08'- org I, phys I. Spring 09'- org II, phys II. I will also work in a few other bio classes (genetics, immunology, etc.)
 
Right now I'm in the middle of my PhD program in biochemistry and I figure I'll wait until '09 to apply so that I can (hopefully) finish the PhD. In the meantime, I plan to spend the next several months studying for the MCAT so I can get it out of the way this spring/summer. I'm going to start volunteering at the hospital within the next month and perhaps at some point I'll be able to good have some good shadowing experiences. As a grad student I can take classes for free, so I figure I'll sit through the mammalian anatomy/physiology class/lecture sequence next year just for kicks.

It's kind of frustrating to think that it will be almost three years before I even enter med school (I'll be 27), but at the same time I can use that time to prepare myself and get a better idea of what I'll be getting into before taking the plunge.
 
I am also an 2009 applicant...YEA!!!!!! lol I am finishing up my prereqs along with my Bach's and studying for the Mcat. I can not wait until its our cycle for sweating, worrying, and ultimately celebrating.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would check the math here... I believe it is class of 2014!😀

sorry...I was on the 5 year plan for undergrad. I guess I'll have to call all the people I sent an announcement to so they can change their reservations. 🙂
 
woo hoo! another '09 applicant here! Im in my 2nd semester of my first year at a post-bacc program.
 
I will also be applying in '09 to matriculate in fall of 2010. Currently taking o. chem. I and physics I. I'll be turning 30 in august of 2010. Yeah, I can't wait till my 40's.
 
I will also be applying in '09 to matriculate in fall of 2010. Currently taking o. chem. I and physics I. I'll be turning 30 in august of 2010. Yeah, I can't wait till my 40's.

well dont feel bad ill be 30 also when i start LOL YAY 30yr olds LOL
 
Hey there -I am taking chem this summer and then ochem and physics in the fall and spring and try to apply in 09 for 10. I will probably take the mCAT in the spring of 09. I just started voluntering at the local hospital and am looking to get some research stuff in now as well. problem is that I work full time and also just finished an MS in psychology which was also full time so I am a little bushed. Med school sounds like a break to me; at least it will be atime where I can just do school. My undergrad GPA is pretty bad although I dont know if they will look at all my total undergrad classes or just those taken at th eschool I graduated from. If the look at all the classes over time I am sure that the GPA must be better because i have at least 1.5 years of A's after the initial 2.66 that I so gracefully managed the first trip out of the gate. I would like to think that I will ace the rest of the prereq's as well, so that would most likely help. who knows? I got to meet a guy that works on an adcom because a lot of my family works in higher education. I was able o ask him a whole bunch of questions which really clarified my path. This is rambling on now.
 
You're worried? I will be working full time (I'm an aerospace engineer), taking pre-reqs at night, studying for the MCAT, AND volunteering at the hospital all at the same time. Holy crap! 😱

I am so thre with you - not the engineering part - but there nonetheless.
 
I would like to throw my name into this hat also....started my informal post-bacc last semester. Student by day, respiratory therapist by night 👍
 
I am also planning on applying in '09 for '10 matriculation. I am starting my prereqs now (I'm retaking the 3 I'd already taken due to their age and my complete lack of memory regarding their contents). I am also pursing a second bachelor's in Chemistry, because I realized I'd only need 6 more classes past the prereqs to complete it, and I've always enjoyed Chemistry.

My background - I am almost 32 and married w/6 kids. I have a BA in History and worked in IT for 8 years before quitting to stay home with the family for a bit. I teach a computing class as an adjunct at a local community college and volunteer at the local Shock Trauma twice a week (and love it!). My UG GPA is pretty low (3.1), so I'm already trying to prep a bit for the MCAT and make sure I have all my ducks in a row to show that I'm not the same undirected person I was 10/15 years ago.

Thanks for starting this thread, I look forward to meeting more class of 2014 hopefuls!

-Debbi


That's great!