Applying Internally for MD PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geeyouknit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this a semi-hypothetical since I still have a year left.
Let's say I enjoyed practicing clinical medicine (based on shadowing and volunteering), and while I also liked doing research and was considering an MD/PhD, I wasn't totally sold on the latter part. I have only had a year and half of research in only one lab, and I would like some more time/experience before committing to the PhD part.

Would it be smart/advisable to apply to only medical school then applying internally? Or would you a recommend taking an extra year to apply to MD/PhD directly?
My thoughts with the first one was that it would give me time to do research in my senior year and possibly in rotations in the summers of med school before choosing to do a PhD; this would also save me a year in between.

Thanks for feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Take a year off and apply to MD/PhD directly

If you apply internally, you have one shot. If you take a year off (a year is a very very small chunk of your life), you can apply all around. MD/PhD programs only take a few students each year, so they can be more picky about the type of people they admit than MD programs. Also, even if you don't apply to MD/PhD, you will have strengthened your medical school application with extra research experience.

Take a year off and apply to MD/PhD directly

If you apply internally, you have one shot. If you take a year off (a year is a very very small chunk of your life), you can apply all around. MD/PhD programs only take a few students each year, so they can be more picky about the type of people they admit than MD programs. Also, even if you don't apply to MD/PhD, you will have strengthened your medical school application with extra research experience.
Agree 100%.