1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Applying late... school list help?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by alexandertg6, Aug 14, 2011.

1. alexandertg6

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am currently about to be a first time reapplicant, and I need some advice on where I might have a chance of getting in.

stats:
    BS biology UNC in 3 years. 3.55 cgpa and about that sgpa. Strong upward trend with 3.0 freshman year (all B s) and ~3.8 last two years

First MCAT 32O: VR 9 PS 10 BS 13BS.
    Second MCAT 35N: 10VR 11PS 14BS

ECs:
    president of the UNC chapter of Rotaract (a humanitarian service organization).
    5 years of clinical experience both paid and unpaid including shadowing and volunteering (which also resulted in a very strong and personally written letter of recommendation from the Chief of Staff of a hospital whom I have known for many years).
    about a year of research experience in an HIV lab during which time I received a grant for my own project, but I do not have my name on any publications.

In this year off I am founding and programming a software start-up that is very people oriented and taking MBA level classes on entrepreneurialship while looking for a medical mission trip to gain international experience and fluency in Spanish (Im almost there).

Last year I interviewed at NYMC, UNC, ECU, UCF, and Wake Forest and was wait listed at Wake Forest and UCF but rejected outright by NYMC, UNC, and ECU >.<...

Instate at NC and I have some connections at Duke and UCF.

What are my chances/where might I be likely to get in? I would like to apply to some reach schools (probably Duke) but am not looking for a hardcore research school (like Pritzker or Hopkins... not that I would get in either place lol but hopefully you get the idea). Im worried because I am going to submit my primaries tomorrow... My list so far is:

1. UNC
    2. ECU
    3. U Central Florida
    4. Wake Forest
    5. Duke
    6. NYMC
    7. Michigan State?
    8. George Washington
    9. Miami
    10. Florida International U
    11. Temple
    12. Boston U
    13. tufts
    14. U South Florida
    15. FSU
    16. U South Carolina
    17. Marshall
    18. Tulane
    19. Louisiana State U
    20. Saint Louis U
    21. Jefferson

REACH
    22. Emory
    23. Columbia
    24. SUNY Downstate
    25. Mt. Sinai
    26. Vanderbilt

any schools on that list I shouldnt apply to? any I should add? why? thanks!!

Alex

#1 alexandertg6, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Goblue89

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would take out Mich State and replace with Wayne State, they seem to lean more toward research but have a very unagressive rolling admissions policy, IMO.
    I applied to a ton of schools and will tell you the ones whom I just received secondaries from (within the last 2 weeks). These include, U of South Florida, UMN-Twin Cities, University of Colorado, Wayne and Northwestern. I figure if you apply here you wont be too far behind.
    From what I hear it is really hard to get into FSU OOS.

#2 Goblue89, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

You haven't checked your schools to see which are OOS friendly. Check on USFlorida and Florida State, Marshall (requires contiguous state or strong state ties), and Louisiana State. Consider removing all of them. FIU only took 13% OOS last year but as they are increasing their class size, I'd keep it, as that percent may change. Consider FAU (new).

By all rights, with so many interviews, you should have gotten an acceptance last year. This suggests to me that working on interview skills should be a priority.

5. alexandertg6

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have strong state ties to Florida (most of my family and MD mentor live there and I spent childhood summers working there) which is why I applied to most Florida schools. I decided against FAU solely because it doesnt come up in MSAR as accepting out of state students. Upon closer inspection it has no data so they may be OOS friendly... Google didnt seem to be much help on that either. Does anyone know if FAU is OOS friendly?? My application was also much weaker as a whole last year with a 32MCAT and 3.4GPA... I think that has more to do with why I didnt gain any acceptances. I was told I interviewed fine at UNC, but I will do research to improve my interviewing skills this year.

anyways, heres an updated list
    1. UNC
    2. ECU
    3. UCF
    4. Wake Forest
    5. Duke

6. NYMC
    7. Michigan State
    8. George Washington

9. Miami
    10. FIU
    11. Temple