Applying late... school list help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexandertg6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently about to be a first time reapplicant, and I need some advice on where I might have a chance of getting in.

stats:
BS biology UNC in 3 years. 3.55 cgpa and about that sgpa. Strong upward trend with 3.0 freshman year (all B s) and ~3.8 last two years

First MCAT 32O: VR 9 PS 10 BS 13BS.
Second MCAT 35N: 10VR 11PS 14BS

ECs:
president of the UNC chapter of Rotaract (a humanitarian service organization).
5 years of clinical experience both paid and unpaid including shadowing and volunteering (which also resulted in a very strong and personally written letter of recommendation from the Chief of Staff of a hospital whom I have known for many years).
about a year of research experience in an HIV lab during which time I received a grant for my own project, but I do not have my name on any publications.

In this year off I am founding and programming a software start-up that is very people oriented and taking MBA level classes on entrepreneurialship while looking for a medical mission trip to gain international experience and fluency in Spanish (Im almost there).

Last year I interviewed at NYMC, UNC, ECU, UCF, and Wake Forest and was wait listed at Wake Forest and UCF but rejected outright by NYMC, UNC, and ECU >.<...

Instate at NC and I have some connections at Duke and UCF.

What are my chances/where might I be likely to get in? I would like to apply to some reach schools (probably Duke) but am not looking for a hardcore research school (like Pritzker or Hopkins... not that I would get in either place lol but hopefully you get the idea). Im worried because I am going to submit my primaries tomorrow... My list so far is:

1. UNC
2. ECU
3. U Central Florida
4. Wake Forest
5. Duke
6. NYMC
7. Michigan State?
8. George Washington
9. Miami
10. Florida International U
11. Temple
12. Boston U
13. tufts
14. U South Florida
15. FSU
16. U South Carolina
17. Marshall
18. Tulane
19. Louisiana State U
20. Saint Louis U
21. Jefferson

REACH
22. Emory
23. Columbia
24. SUNY Downstate
25. Mt. Sinai
26. Vanderbilt

any schools on that list I shouldnt apply to? any I should add? why? thanks!!

Alex

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would take out Mich State and replace with Wayne State, they seem to lean more toward research but have a very unagressive rolling admissions policy, IMO.
I applied to a ton of schools and will tell you the ones whom I just received secondaries from (within the last 2 weeks). These include, U of South Florida, UMN-Twin Cities, University of Colorado, Wayne and Northwestern. I figure if you apply here you wont be too far behind.
From what I hear it is really hard to get into FSU OOS.

Last edited:
You haven't checked your schools to see which are OOS friendly. Check on USFlorida and Florida State, Marshall (requires contiguous state or strong state ties), and Louisiana State. Consider removing all of them. FIU only took 13% OOS last year but as they are increasing their class size, I'd keep it, as that percent may change. Consider FAU (new).

By all rights, with so many interviews, you should have gotten an acceptance last year. This suggests to me that working on interview skills should be a priority.

I have strong state ties to Florida (most of my family and MD mentor live there and I spent childhood summers working there) which is why I applied to most Florida schools. I decided against FAU solely because it doesnt come up in MSAR as accepting out of state students. Upon closer inspection it has no data so they may be OOS friendly... Google didnt seem to be much help on that either. Does anyone know if FAU is OOS friendly?? My application was also much weaker as a whole last year with a 32MCAT and 3.4GPA... I think that has more to do with why I didnt gain any acceptances. I was told I interviewed fine at UNC, but I will do research to improve my interviewing skills this year.

anyways, heres an updated list
1. UNC
2. ECU
3. UCF
4. Wake Forest
5. Duke

6. NYMC
7. Michigan State
8. George Washington

9. Miami
10. FIU
11. Temple