Feb 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm applying to dental schools in late November because I'm not ready to take the DAT yet. Which schools still have a decent number of seats left by that time? I hear NYU does. Any other schools? Your help is much appreciated.

eldmd_32

5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I would highly advise against applying that late. Most schools have deadlines of December 1st or 15th so the materials probably would't arrive in time for that. Even if other schools have deadlines of January or February, November is still pushing it unless you have a 4.0 gpa and 28AA DAT with a killer PS and knockout shadowing/volunteer hours. Go ahead and submit your application and contact the schools you're applying to and let them know the date that you plan on taking the dat. Also, check with the schools to see if you can send them unofficial scores so that they won't have to wait 4-6 weeks to get your official scores. October is still seriously pushing it (I did that last year and took the dat in november...epic fail results as most seats had filled up by the time my application was considered complete). Good luck to you though

sjv

5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As said above, I'd wait until next cycle if you have anything short of stellar stats. Private schools will have the most seats still available but you can maximize chances by waiting.

Reactions: eldmd_32
Apr 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
As stated above, not a good idea. My application was mailed out at the end of July (3.95 GPA, 24 DAT, great ECs and shadowing), and I'm starting to feel that was "late."

Sep 21, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
I got my stuff out September 1, and i feel that was pretty late. But dude just go for it. Apply everywhere and anywhere you think you have a chance. All you need is one interview, kill it and your in. The best of luck!

2THDDS

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
if you are really pressed to apply because you don't want to waste another year, go ahead and do it, but it will be late when you have everything ready and chances of getting in just becomes too low as it approaches January and later.

But, if you insist, apply to your top schools and state schools and see if you get lucky.! Never know!

Aug 12, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Most schools accept interviews, and furthermore acceptance, based on a rolling admissions process. Applying this cycle, this late, will give you some pre-dec interviews this cycle (with good stats) and some post december interviews depending on the school. If you have the money, apply this cycle to save you time and debt should you get accepted, otherwise, save a year, do more volunteer work, apply to post bacc programs where you ta or do research and get stipends, and better your application for next cycle. All depends on the caliber of your application.