1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Applying Late

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by od2016, Aug 12, 2011.

1. od2016

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Re-taking some pre-reqs to get my science GPA up, but the semester won't end until mid-December. Planning to take the OATs a little earlier or around that time. Can those who applied late let me know how the process went for them?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. norsha

Pre-Optometry
    It's not a problem at all. I didn't take the OAT until the end of Feb and still received plenty interview invites. Don't forget - you can submit your app before completing the prereqs and OAT.

4. Roffles

Roffles OSU Class of 2015
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I took the OAT in September and ended up applying in December. Honestly my experience was fairly typical. My interview was in March and it went pretty well. I wouldn't worry about applying late. The final outcome really shouldn't change unless you're truly a borderline student. In that case, just reapply early the following year!

5. Optoed

5+ Year Member

I'm in a similar situation. I probably won't be able to apply until Oct/Nov. From what I gathered by reading on here, to submit in Oct:
    - get your reference letters together (at least 2-3 weeks)
    - get transcript to OptomCAS (1-2 weeks)
    - personal statement..I'm a slow writer, this will take a while..

I hope November isn't too late for SCCO or Nova.. I'm okay with January interview dates.

If anyone else has experience applying late to these schools, pls lemme know =) thanks!!

p.s. I see Clearly Contacts everywhere b/c of smart ad..probably one of the most frustrating thing to see for an optometrist

6. pieman396

Pre-Optometry
    I applied to Nova in late Feb, got an interview April 1, got accepted april 15, so dont worry about the time thing