Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
I'm posting this for my boyfriend who is not a member but plans to attend medical school. So, the published deadline for hismed school apps are Novemberish or something (not the early decision of Aug 1of AMCAS)

My SO was told that unless you apply in June or July there is basically no point and you won't get in, because by that time medical schools basically have all their interwiews set up and know who they want. I.e., the deadline is bull crap.

I read a couple other things on this forum that seemed to imply this too, but wanted to hear it straight from the horse's mouth, if you will.

He signed up for MCATS in October and planned to submit around that time. Is this true that an October application is basically worthless because schools already know who they want, have interviews slots set up,etc? I apologize if this is a silly question, I'm a senior clinic student hand don't know how this works and he'd been in PhD land all year.

Last edited:

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
yeah october is too late.

OP
WhtsThFrequency
Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
Yeah that is kind of what I figured. Surpising though, you'd think they'd accept up to a time and then review everyone, not do rolling. Might miss some very good candidates.

He could not submit in June because he was finishing up his PhD (and an extremely time intensive one, 6 yrs) and had no time to study super thoroughly for MCATS during that time, thought that after he defended he could get it out of the way. Yup, app next year sounds like the plan right now.

dbrokut

Removed
Jul 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah that is kind of what I figured. Surpising though, you'd think they'd accept up to a time and then review everyone, not do rolling. Might miss some very good candidates.
Agreed! Most schools accept scores up till september 09.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

He could not submit in June because he was finishing up his PhD (and an extremely time intensive one, 6 yrs) and had no time to study super thoroughly for MCATS during that time, thought that after he defended he could get it out of the way. Yup, app next year sounds like the plan right now.
not really...

umass_md

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2006
out of my mind, ma
Status
Medical Student

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
Why not? The idea that the earliness of an applicant speaks for his/her motivation to be a doctor.....is debatable.
there are enough good applicants that there's not much point to holding off

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Wait, I'm confused. The OP said applications sent in June/July and everyone else seems to agree that later is pointless. Are we talking about everything in by July???? Am I at a significant disadvantage to be working on secondaries and not be complete until the end of August?
not getting your ACMAS in until August is bad. Getting your secondaries done in August is not that bad although sooner is better than later. Some school still have yet to send out their secondaries and its practically august

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
Wait, I'm confused. The OP said applications sent in June/July and everyone else seems to agree that later is pointless. Are we talking about everything in by July???? Am I at a significant disadvantage to be working on secondaries and not be complete until the end of August?
your primary needs to be in for verification by mid july/ early aug at the latest.

secondaries as soon as they can be done well.

Kinocilium

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2009
Minneapolis
Status
I have a similar question so I'm not going to make a whole new thread. I'm currently working on my AMCAS right now, and I took the MCAT July 17th so I'm expecting my results mid-to-late August, at which point I'll send in my AMCAS asap. I'm only applying to somewhere between 5 and 10 schools (MD/PhD) because I'm really worried that I won't be able to work on my secondaries once school starts and also because I'm kind of considering taking a year off anyway. I figured I'd apply just because I don't know how I'll feel a year from now, but if what you guys say is true and August/early September is too late anyway I might as well not bother, right?

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
I have a similar question so I'm not going to make a whole new thread. I'm currently working on my AMCAS right now, and I took the MCAT July 17th so I'm expecting my results mid-to-late August, at which point I'll send in my AMCAS asap. I'm only applying to somewhere between 5 and 10 schools (MD/PhD) because I'm really worried that I won't be able to work on my secondaries once school starts and also because I'm kind of considering taking a year off anyway. I figured I'd apply just because I don't know how I'll feel a year from now, but if what you guys say is true and August/early September is too late anyway I might as well not bother, right?
md/phd are a different game... check with the programs to see what they will accept. i think you can send in sans mcat though

Kinocilium

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2009
Minneapolis
Status
md/phd are a different game... check with the programs to see what they will accept. i think you can send in sans mcat though
Well the application dates are the same as for the MD-only programs in most cases, so I don't think it's really that different. I thought the discussion here was about the "real" deadline by which you should have your application in, which may or may not be way before the official deadline. I assume if I call the programs all they'll tell me is that I should have it in before the official deadline

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
Well the application dates are the same as for the MD-only programs in most cases, so I don't think it's really that different. I thought the discussion here was about the "real" deadline by which you should have your application in, which may or may not be way before the official deadline. I assume if I call the programs all they'll tell me is that I should have it in before the official deadline
mudphud are in a different smaller pooler. less people, less comp... early is always better

gbu730

bake dreams
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2008
New York
Status
Pre-Medical
mudphud are in a different smaller pooler. less people, less comp... early is always better
Not necessarily. MD/PhD committees look for different qualities of applicants--ones that are dedicated to research and have highers stats. In the MD/PhD forum, people frequently MD/PhD adcoms placing a higher emphasis on numbers and research, while being more forgiving for the lack of clinical hours.

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
Not necessarily. MD/PhD committees look for different qualities of applicants--ones that are dedicated to research and have highers stats. In the MD/PhD forum, people frequently MD/PhD adcoms placing a higher emphasis on numbers and research, while being more forgiving for the lack of clinical hours.
it's easier to compete with 3000 ppl than 20000.

gbu730

bake dreams
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2008
New York
Status
Pre-Medical
Oops, and back to the OP, most schools say specifically that September MCAT is the last test date accepted if you plan on applying in the same year.

student1799

"Señora” to you, hombre
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student
No. I submitted my primary in July, but decided to add a bunch more schools to my app in early October when my MCAT retake didn't go as well as I'd hoped. 6 of my 8 interviews, and both of my acceptances, came from these October schools.

Moral: proper fit/competitiveness at a given school are more important than your application date (within reason). So it's better to apply a bit late at a school where you're a good fit, than super-early at a school where you aren't.

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student

Smaller pool : TRUE
Less Competition: FALSE

This will answer anyone's question about being early or late or whatever... for all eternity.

"To compete just remember. Complete by September."

(I just made that up right now.)

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
This will answer anyone's question about being early or late or whatever... for a week.

"To compete just remember. Complete by September."

(I just made that up right now.)
ftfy

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student

for a week? i don't get it. I had to look up what ftfy meant by the way. :D

For people who say it's less competitive because the pool is smaller...

That's like saying running for the presidency is less competitive because there's only a dozen or so candidates in the primary. Nevermind what they had to do to get that far in the first place.

Sure... if I woke up one day with a MCAT in the mid to high thirties (or 40s), several years of dedicated research and possible publications, a gpa of at least 3.7, highly commending letters from research faculty, the usual accolades and extracurriculars that accompany a pristine and achieved academic history, and the passion and endurance to go through 8 (minimum) years of medical school and graduate studies... then yeah my chances might look a bit better.

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status

gbu730

bake dreams
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2008
New York
Status
Pre-Medical
for a week? i don't get it. I had to look up what ftfy meant by the way. :D

For people who say it's less competitive because the pool is smaller...

That's like saying running for the presidency is less competitive because there's only a dozen or so candidates in the primary. Nevermind what they had to do to get that far in the first place.

Sure... if I woke up one day with a MCAT in the mid to high thirties (or 40s), several years of dedicated research and possible publications, a gpa of at least 3.7, highly commending letters from research faculty, the usual accolades and extracurriculars that accompany a pristine and achieved academic history, and the passion and endurance to go through 8 (minimum) years of medical school and graduate studies... then yeah my chances might look a bit better.
cracks me up :laugh:

Jun 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I had to look up what ftfy meant by the way. :D
Tell me about it. I'm starting to feel like an outsider on these threads, keep coming across these bizarre abbreviations. :laugh: About to look up this term here after this post. I guess I should bookmark the glossary or something.

Edit: Man the thing isn't even in the dictionary lol. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=523703. Which one did you use? It doesn't hurt to spell the abbreviations out once in a while!

Jun 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyway after all that mess I forgot that I wanted to post something.

So we know with primaries: june early, july ok, august late, sep. later (or some variation thereof)

What's the "earliness" timeline with secondaries for the "typical" schools, those that send them out june-july?

For example, since we're approaching August now, are we early, normal, or late if we still haven't submitted a secondary from one of these schools?

McPoyle

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2005
Where the wild things are
Status
Attending Physician
Moral: proper fit/competitiveness at a given school are more important than your application date (within reason). So it's better to apply a bit late at a school where you're a good fit, than super-early at a school where you aren't.
I this advice is grossly overlooked here on SDN. Does submitting your app in June compared to August matter-likely not. However getting a feel for where you are competitive will be very beneficial. Sure, maybe September is a bit late, but I know many people who fared fine this cycle with completing secondaries in late October.

So, ya, stress school selection way more than timing.

sshashid87

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I doubt early August is late for primaries...not early, but not late either...now, late August/September, you're pushing it...

In either case, I just submitted, expect to be verified end of August, but I've already gotten through 2-3 secondaries based on the prompts...I'll turn them around within an hour of the email (exaggeration, but you get the picture)

For me, I know late July/August submission is fine, since my HPAC committee has pretty much said they are lagging behind and won't be done with letters til about mid-Sept...I think submitting secondaries sometime in Sept. is fine...but to each his own...

SDN had made me neurotic until I talked to my non-SDN friends, all of whom are just starting to compile data to plug into AMCAS...figure for August submission for them, and I think that's normal...

LizzyM even said files completed by early/mid August are among the first to be reviewed, so finishing by Sept or so isn't as bad as it seems...(don't ask me to find the post, I only remember reading this because I use it to keep myself from having a heart attack every time I see one of these posts)

Pghboy18

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I doubt early August is late for primaries...not early, but not late either...now, late August/September, you're pushing it...

In either case, I just submitted, expect to be verified end of August, but I've already gotten through 2-3 secondaries based on the prompts...I'll turn them around within an hour of the email (exaggeration, but you get the picture)

For me, I know late July/August submission is fine, since my HPAC committee has pretty much said they are lagging behind and won't be done with letters til about mid-Sept...I think submitting secondaries sometime in Sept. is fine...but to each his own...

SDN had made me neurotic until I talked to my non-SDN friends, all of whom are just starting to compile data to plug into AMCAS...figure for August submission for them, and I think that's normal...

LizzyM even said files completed by early/mid August are among the first to be reviewed, so finishing by Sept or so isn't as bad as it seems...(don't ask me to find the post, I only remember reading this because I use it to keep myself from having a heart attack every time I see one of these posts)
Agree. Take whatever the consensus deadline is for SDN and add about a month to it.

Jun 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
That's what I'm talking about

sage36

10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think there is ever a "too late." A friend of mine, last cycle, applied basically at the last minute. For example, his Columbia secondary was turned in on the absolute last day etc. (He's going to UPenn this year). That said, it is a significant disadvantage at rolling schools and a semi-disadvantage at non-rolling schools. There is always hope though