Applying MD and MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Envro55

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
H

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you applying to MD only programs?

1) I included my desire to pursue research and how my current research has informed my choice to pursue this/these degrees in my personal statement. I think most MD programs like research, they just want patient care to be your primary goal.

2) You can specify which LoR go to which schools. If you're applying to a school as MD only, maybe get a couple LoR that are MD specific and send those to the MD only schools. Send Physician Scientist emails to MD/PhD schools.

Hi! I'm a second-year MSTP and I also applied to MD and MD/PhD programs. That said, I'm an international, so my options were limited. I would strongly advise against applying to both. I think you pretty much know why, as is evident from your questions. When applying to MDs, you have to be really careful to talk about your research, but not too much. If you're interested in the details of my experience, hit me up, but again, I think that MD and MD/PhD apps are quite different, and there are very few circumstances when one should consider applying to both.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied both and was accepted both! I did so because I wanted a PhD in a nontraditional field. I spoke about primarily why medicine and how I hope to change the field in my Personal Statement and then addressed my specific research interests and experiences in the MD/PhD supplemental. My letter writers never specifically used the phrase MD/PhD but did talk about me as a researcher and a physician.

I applied both and was accepted both! I did so because I wanted a PhD in a nontraditional field. I spoke about primarily why medicine and how I hope to change the field in my Personal Statement and then addressed my specific research interests and experiences in the MD/PhD supplemental. My letter writers never specifically used the phrase MD/PhD but did talk about me as a researcher and a physician.
i did the same exact thing

i did the same exact thing

Can I pm you guys a few questions? I'm considering applying to both but worried about how it'll affect my regular MD app if I apply to both MD/PhD and just MD at the same school.

Can I pm you guys a few questions? I'm considering applying to both but worried about how it'll affect my regular MD app if I apply to both MD/PhD and just MD at the same school.
sure dude i dont mind