applying MD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a question...I am a Public Health major, and I was considering applying MD/MPH at some medschool's that offer such a program. Do you think that my chances of admission would increase in comparison to only applying MD since I wish to fill a spot at a program that is perhaps not as popular (at SOME schools) as straight MD or MD/MBA?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by camisho
Hey I have a question...I am a Public Health major, and I was considering applying MD/MPH at some medschool's that offer such a program. Do you think that my chances of admission would increase in comparison to only applying MD since I wish to fill a spot at a program that is perhaps not as popular (at SOME schools) as straight MD or MD/MBA?? Thanks!

Usually applying to MD/MPH won't increase your chance to MD, just because you have to apply to the medical school and School of Public Health separately. Even at places where you apply together, they will tell you applying to MPH doesn't make a difference.

However, mentioning your interest in public health may give you an edge at certain schools, just because they look for people with certain interests.

Originally posted by camisho

I dont believe there are "slots" per se for MD/MPH students at any school in the same way as there are "slot" for MD/PhD students. From my experience admissions to the MPH program is more of a formality after you've been accepted to the medical school, so unless you have a persuasive and compelling reason to apply to the joint program at a given school, it probably wont help you get in at all, and even if it does, it will be miniscule. jmho.

Members don't see this ad :)
My health career advisor told me not to apply to both, because I could always go MPH after getting accepted to med school. She believed that applying dual would be of no help but it could possibly be an unwanted complication, so better to play it simple. However, feel free to discuss public health interests in your application and personal essay.

which schools are geared a bit toward or have a marked interest in public health, just out of curiosity?