applying md/phd hurting phd chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passion4atcg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all-

I plan on applying to mstp programs this summer for entrance in 2008. Most people I encounter would rather do MD if they don't get into md/phd. however, i would rather do PhD if i don't get into md/phd. will it hurt my chances for phd if i apply to those schools md/phd, don't get in, and then reapply phd in the fall? i don't think i'd be willing to sacrifice going to a top research institute to pursue medicine as well, so if i don't get into md/phd with research programs i'm interested in, i'll drop out of the application process and simply apply phd. i just don't want it to work against me. because of my experiences, i'm pretty confident i would have a chance at top phd programs, just not sure because of mcat about the mstps at these programs (for ex, harvard, stanford, u of chicago, wash u)
please let me know your thoughts on this. thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi all-

I plan on applying to mstp programs this summer for entrance in 2008. Most people I encounter would rather do MD if they don't get into md/phd. however, i would rather do PhD if i don't get into md/phd. will it hurt my chances for phd if i apply to those schools md/phd, don't get in, and then reapply phd in the fall? i don't think i'd be willing to sacrifice going to a top research institute to pursue medicine as well, so if i don't get into md/phd with research programs i'm interested in, i'll drop out of the application process and simply apply phd. i just don't want it to work against me. because of my experiences, i'm pretty confident i would have a chance at top phd programs, just not sure because of mcat about the mstps at these programs (for ex, harvard, stanford, u of chicago, wash u)
I can't imagine that it would hurt you, but others are probably more experienced in this area than I am. What I wanted to tell you to consider though is that if it is important to you to get both degrees, I recommend that you consider going straight MD instead of straight PhD. I say this because it's a lot easier to be an MD student and take time off to get a PhD versus the other way around.

I wouldn't worry about it, though it may depend on the programs you apply to. Some MD/PhD programs have a special admissions committee and program and act either with the med school or as their own entity. If you're applying to these programs, don't worry, the PhD departments will probably never even know that you're applying MD/PhD unless you tell them and I imagine there's very little conversation between the two groups, if any. If you're applying to MD/PhD programs that require you to be accepted to both the MD and the PhD program, well...I imagine you either get into both or just one and if you just get into the PhD portion, then you just do the PhD. Regardless, PhD programs are way way less anal and spastic than MD programs about what you want to do and all that. So long as you're excited about research and have good grades, you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about it, though it may depend on the programs you apply to. Some MD/PhD programs have a special admissions committee and program and act either with the med school or as their own entity. If you're applying to these programs, don't worry, the PhD departments will probably never even know that you're applying MD/PhD unless you tell them and I imagine there's very little conversation between the two groups, if any. If you're applying to MD/PhD programs that require you to be accepted to both the MD and the PhD program, well...I imagine you either get into both or just one and if you just get into the PhD portion, then you just do the PhD. Regardless, PhD programs are way way less anal and spastic than MD programs about what you want to do and all that. So long as you're excited about research and have good grades, you should be fine.

Agree. I don't think it's going to hurt you. Also, if you apply broadly for MSTP you will get in somewhere, so I wouldn't worry about it.

hi all-

I don't think this is unusual at all. I had a friend in the same predicament. He is finishing M2 in Northwestern's MSTP this year.

No it will not hurt your chances, but why not apply concurrently? Also, (and I know this cause I had a plethora of rejections), many programs will invite you to apply for their PhD program (for the upcoming year--in your case 2008) upon MD/PhD rejection. This to me says: 'Sorry we can't fund you for MSTP/MD/PhD, but would like you to consider a PhD this Fall if interested.'-- actually I think some of the offer letters said this ;).

hi all-

I agree with the above posters, neither should affect the other applications processs. In general, they are separate adcoms. The only word of caution is applying PhD to the same schools you apply MD-PhD to and then PhD only.

The other difference would be the fact you would have to take the GREs. Shouldnt be a problem for ya, just a hassel and $200.00 or so for the pleasure to take the GREs. Then there are a few more essays and more application fees.

I also was rejected at one school for MD-PhD program and then offered an interview for their PhD program only. It was no big deal since I was already accpeted somewhere, but didnt realize that could have happened.

Good Luck

Well at some schools the graduate school might not even realize that you are applying to the MD/PhD program or vice versa. At other schools it will be completely coordinated.

I had one school where the MD/PhD program and the graduate program tried to coordinate to give me both acceptances on the same phone call. Their coordination failed though because someone accidentally CCed me on the wrong email.

Another school was running around like crazy trying to get the paperwork done with the graduate school and the md/phd program so they could accept me on the same day I was interviewing.

Oh those were the fun days.

To be frank, I would apply to both programs right away. If you start working on your graduate programs right now you will be way ahead of the game. Get your MD/PhD programs out of the door ASAP (July at the latest), and then copy the information over to the PhD applications.

I think you have good chances. There are a plenty of schools who emphasize PhD credentials over MD credentials. You're going to have to figure out what matters to you more - more prestigious school versus the degree program. You will also need to get your story straight about why you want to do MD/PhD (you don't sound terribly convincing at the moment).