Applying Next Cycle. Anything I Should Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BRO588

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been trying to pick up bits and pieces of advice by looking at previous threads, but I was wondering if I could get advice on my application for next year. I would really appreciate any input.

My Stats:
Under-represented Minority, California Resident
cGPA is 3.76 sGPA is 3.70
MCAT is 35 (PS 11, V 11, BS 13)

• Division I scholarship athlete - will be 4 years when I apply
  • Clinical Care Extender - 240 hours of clinical experience (Gynecology & Urology 4 months, Telemetry 4 months, Orthopedics 4 months)
  • Undergraduate Research for a couple years - posters and hopefully an upcoming publication
  • Shadowing three doctors around 45 hours each (Pediatrican, Orthopedic Surgeon and Rheumatologist)
  • EMT-Basic California state certified (500 hours)
  • Phlebotomy Certified (I have not worked as one yet; I picked it up to advance my EMT certification)
  • I've tutored on both my university's campus and community colleges
  • I've been a member of three organizations for three years
  • Awards: Dean's list several quarters, Scholar-Athlete awards
First thing, I was thinking about continuing with the clinical care extender program (pick up shifts in the Main OR and Emergency Dept.), would more hours be worth it? Also, would I be competitive in UC schools? I am currently enrolled at a UC and was wondering if that had any pull? I am a URM and I'm conflicted about applying as one - I want to get in on merit and it seems a lot of URM's are assumed to have got in because they're minorities, but at the same time I'd do anything to get into medical school. Finally, does being a NCAA athlete have any pull in admissions (my GPA would be much higher if I wasn't pulling 60hr+ weeks with training and competition)?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you application is shaping up really well. The only thing I don't see is a leadership role - were you a board member or anything in your clubs? Anyway, even without leadership, you will still have a great application.

First thing, I was thinking about continuing with the clinical care extender program (pick up shifts in the Main OR and Emergency Dept.), would more hours be worth it?

Sure, more experience is always a good thing. You will reach the height of research if you get that publication, so there is no real need to pursue that further unless you are considering MD/PhD.

Also, would I be competitive in UC schools? I am currently enrolled at a UC and was wondering if that had any pull?

Yes, you will be competitive at UC schools. You probably already know - a better a chance at Davis and Irvine than the others, but still competitive at all, IMO.

I am a URM and I'm conflicted about applying as one - I want to get in on merit and it seems a lot of URM's are assumed to have got in because they're minorities, but at the same time I'd do anything to get into medical school.

You should apply as one - you are who you are. Regardless, what I said above is not based on you being a URM - I think you have a great application anyway.

Finally, does being a NCAA athlete have any pull in admissions (my GPA would be much higher if I wasn't pulling 60hr+ weeks with training and competition)?

Schools do recognize NCAA athletes, and they understand it requires a significant time commitment. But I'm not sure you really need an explanation for your GPA - it is perfectly competitive as is.

You'll have a very competitive application. I agree with the above comments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks you two for your responses, I think I'll go for the URM status. There are leadership opportunities that I can pursue through the clinical care extender program. I was wondering if starting my own club or becoming the president of a club is the leadership medical schools are looking for or if CCE leadership would suffice?

Thanks you two for your responses, I think I'll go for the URM status. There are leadership opportunities that I can pursue through the clinical care extender program. I was wondering if starting my own club or becoming the president of a club is the leadership medical schools are looking for or if CCE leadership would suffice?

Surely go URM.

Starting your own club or being president of one are both excellent leadership. These would be preferably to CCE leadership, but that is also certainly valuable.

Thanks again and you've been very helpful! I'll definitely look into that this upcoming year. One last thing, just so I can start thinking ahead, what other schools should I apply to, other than all the California schools?

Thanks again and you've been very helpful! I'll definitely look into that this upcoming year. One last thing, just so I can start thinking ahead, what other schools should I apply to, other than all the California schools?

Honestly, I think you have a pretty legit shot at every school - I think your application will be looked at whichever school you choose to apply to. Of course, you can't apply to the state schools that only accept residents.