Applying next summer, general questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

optometry97

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im currently a jr in undergrad and plan on applying this upcoming summer. I want to submit my application early in the cylce, but I have a few general questions. When should I open up an optomCAS application? How long does it take for an OAT score to be sent/get into optomCAS? If I want to apply in July when should I take the OAT?
 
Im currently a jr in undergrad and plan on applying this upcoming summer. I want to submit my application early in the cylce, but I have a few general questions. When should I open up an optomCAS application? How long does it take for an OAT score to be sent/get into optomCAS? If I want to apply in July when should I take the OAT?
You should open an OptomCAS application the first day it opens for that cycle and familiarize yourself with everything/fill in basic info about yourself. It takes about 2 weeks more or less for the score to be updated into OptomCAS. You can take your OAT whenever you want. I’d say anywhere between May-Oct/Nov(latest) is when you can take it or should have it taken by. Whatever works best for you to prepare adequately and do well.
 
I recommend having everything ready and then submitting and applying in October. Since there are fewer people applying at that time, verification and OAT scores come very fast. My verification took 4 days, but it took longer for people who applied earlier.