Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CURRENT QUESTIONS - any background information you might need to answer can be found below
1. What are some PsyD programs with full funding? I don't recall finding any when I first started looking at graduate schools, but PsyD123 says they exist...
2. Would it be a bad for me to go to school part-time and work part-time next semester instead of just going to school full-time? The only reason I wonder is because I'd be doing the bare minimum required to graduate, and I'm not sure how graduate schools feel about that. I'm not sure whether I'd be able to get a job related to psychology or not.
3. Would it be better to get 2 letters from professors I've done research for and 1 from a clinical setting or to get all 3 from professors? Would 3 from professors and 1 from a clinical setting be even better, or do they prefer you to send only 3?
4. Some people think graduating so quickly or being so young (I'll be 20 at the beginning of the next school year) might be a problem, so any advice there would be helpful.
BACKGROUND
This is my 3rd semester in college, but I came in with 72 AP credits, which took care of all but 2 of my non-major requirements, so I pretty much jumped full force into psychology, though I'd already learned a decent amount from books, the internet, AP psych, and my own experiences. I volunteered at a junior high classroom for students with behavioral and emotional problems (tutoring, behavioral observation) my 1st and 2nd semesters. I started doing research at a lab 2nd semester and am still doing that (data entry, training newcomers, physiological data cleaning... possibly running participants in the near future). I just started at a second lab (running participants and helping with data collection in various ways). I'll most likely continue at both labs next semester and possibly start at a third unless I can get a research job (see question 2 above). I also started volunteering at an inpatient mental health center (mostly interacting with clients) this semester. I'm planning on graduating this December with a PhD in clinical psychology as my ultimate goal. I'm interested in working with adults and have an idea of what I want to research in graduate school. As far as preparation goes, I have a 4.0 thus far, I have a list of 14 schools I'm interested in going to (including faculty I'm interested in working with), I got an 840 on the GRE subject test and a 700/800/6 on the general test, I've been working on my personal statement, and I'm planning on getting letters of recommendation from the two professors I'm currently doing research for and either the LCSW who currently supervises me at the inpatient mental health center or a third professor (maybe both; see question 3 above).
SCHEDULE
FIRST YEAR
Statistical methods in psychology
Survey of clinical psychology w/ service learning mode
Introduction to sociology
Gender and contemporary issues
The art of wellness
Abnormal psychology w/ technology mode
Personality theory
Social psychology
Intro to visual arts
Research experience: developmental
SUMMER
Research methods in psychology
Adult development and dying
Cognitive psychology
Reasoning and rational decision making
Research experience: developmental
Research experience: clinical (I won't get credit for this till next semester because I started late)
SECOND YEAR
Brain and behavior
Intro to speech and language pathology AND/OR death and dying
MAYBE childhood and adolescent development (see question 2 above)
Research experience: developmental
Research experience: clinical
1. What are some PsyD programs with full funding? I don't recall finding any when I first started looking at graduate schools, but PsyD123 says they exist...
2. Would it be a bad for me to go to school part-time and work part-time next semester instead of just going to school full-time? The only reason I wonder is because I'd be doing the bare minimum required to graduate, and I'm not sure how graduate schools feel about that. I'm not sure whether I'd be able to get a job related to psychology or not.
3. Would it be better to get 2 letters from professors I've done research for and 1 from a clinical setting or to get all 3 from professors? Would 3 from professors and 1 from a clinical setting be even better, or do they prefer you to send only 3?
4. Some people think graduating so quickly or being so young (I'll be 20 at the beginning of the next school year) might be a problem, so any advice there would be helpful.
BACKGROUND
This is my 3rd semester in college, but I came in with 72 AP credits, which took care of all but 2 of my non-major requirements, so I pretty much jumped full force into psychology, though I'd already learned a decent amount from books, the internet, AP psych, and my own experiences. I volunteered at a junior high classroom for students with behavioral and emotional problems (tutoring, behavioral observation) my 1st and 2nd semesters. I started doing research at a lab 2nd semester and am still doing that (data entry, training newcomers, physiological data cleaning... possibly running participants in the near future). I just started at a second lab (running participants and helping with data collection in various ways). I'll most likely continue at both labs next semester and possibly start at a third unless I can get a research job (see question 2 above). I also started volunteering at an inpatient mental health center (mostly interacting with clients) this semester. I'm planning on graduating this December with a PhD in clinical psychology as my ultimate goal. I'm interested in working with adults and have an idea of what I want to research in graduate school. As far as preparation goes, I have a 4.0 thus far, I have a list of 14 schools I'm interested in going to (including faculty I'm interested in working with), I got an 840 on the GRE subject test and a 700/800/6 on the general test, I've been working on my personal statement, and I'm planning on getting letters of recommendation from the two professors I'm currently doing research for and either the LCSW who currently supervises me at the inpatient mental health center or a third professor (maybe both; see question 3 above).
SCHEDULE
FIRST YEAR
Statistical methods in psychology
Survey of clinical psychology w/ service learning mode
Introduction to sociology
Gender and contemporary issues
The art of wellness
Abnormal psychology w/ technology mode
Personality theory
Social psychology
Intro to visual arts
Research experience: developmental
SUMMER
Research methods in psychology
Adult development and dying
Cognitive psychology
Reasoning and rational decision making
Research experience: developmental
Research experience: clinical (I won't get credit for this till next semester because I started late)
SECOND YEAR
Brain and behavior
Intro to speech and language pathology AND/OR death and dying
MAYBE childhood and adolescent development (see question 2 above)
Research experience: developmental
Research experience: clinical