Applying only to Categorical Programs. Bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NWwildcat2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody done this or have any opinions on why it might not be a good idea?

I have no geographical preference which is unusual, but in the absence of a preference I don't see why I shouldn't do this. I am couples matching, so the number of programs I would need to apply to and interviews I would need to go on would be really high if I applied to separate intern years. I think it would exponentially complicate my match logistically and financially. Also, the list of categorical programs offer enough diversity of reach programs versus safeties, so I don't feel I am selling myself short.

I am an MS3 so I know interviews are a year away, but seeing MS4 friends go through the process got me thinking about how I may approach things.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying right now and also couples matching. I applied to a total of 38 programs and 8 of them were advanced. Although some of the programs are labeled as advanced, they still guarantee you the intern year. From my experience the more prestigious the program the less likely they will guarantee you the intern year. But overall every year there are more and more categorical programs. I think it is absolutely fine to apply to only categorical programs as long as you apply to enough to ensure you match (which is usually more than average if you're couples matching)

Reactions: 1 user
I am applying right now and also couples matching. I applied to a total of 38 programs and 8 of them were advanced. Although some of the programs are labeled as advanced, they still guarantee you the intern year. From my experience the more prestigious the program the less likely they will guarantee you the intern year. But overall every year there are more and more categorical programs. I think it is absolutely fine to apply to only categorical programs as long as you apply to enough to ensure you match (which is usually more than average if you're couples matching)
How did you find the information on who guarantees an intern year? I have looked at the color coded Google Earth map but it seems to be a bit outdated. Did you just look at each program website?

So when you apply to a place the guarantees and intern year do you still interview with the IM department or does your neuro interview serve as dual purpose?

Members don't see this ad :)
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you're applying to a sufficient number of places.

On my interviews last year, there were a number of traditionally advanced programs that were actively trying to expand the number of categorical and linked positions they had. For a few programs, there was no way to ascertain that info until the interview day itself (or when early interviewers spread the word). Neurology, like other fields such as anesthesia and PM&R where there was a mix of advanced/linked/categorical programs, seems to be shifting towards linked/categorical.

I only interviewed categorical and guaranteed programs because of the couple's match. A couple of places told me by email that intern year was guaranteed then when I showed up it turned out it was not - I made it clear we had both wasted our time and money.

How did you find the information on who guarantees an intern year? I have looked at the color coded Google Earth map but it seems to be a bit outdated. Did you just look at each program website?

So when you apply to a place the guarantees and intern year do you still interview with the IM department or does your neuro interview serve as dual purpose?

If you look at some programs IM prelims they have a spot called IM Prelim/Neurology. Those are prelim spots reserved for neuro applicants. That being said, the majority of Neuro programs besides the top tier are categorical or advanced with a guaranteed preliminary position.

I'm a third-year student planning to apply for neurology next year, I'm very naive on the topic. Could someone explain to me how I would go about applying to advanced neurology and preliminary programs? Do I need to interview to twice as many programs, neurology AND preliminary, if I end up applying to advanced programs?

I'm a third-year student planning to apply for neurology next year, I'm very naive on the topic. Could someone explain to me how I would go about applying to advanced neurology and preliminary programs? Do I need to interview to twice as many programs, neurology AND preliminary, if I end up applying to advanced programs?

The majority of Neurology programs are categorical. However, the rest are advanced, there are two types of advanced programs, advanced-linked, where the program pretty much guarantees a prelim position for you(this is the majority of advanced programs, you can usually identify the prelim as med-prelim/neurology), the rest are advanced positions where you have to arrange your own prelim position- this is a minority of programs, the only one I can recall right now is Partners Neurology, and if you're competitive enough for Partners you shouldn't have issues finding a prelim position.

The majority of Neurology programs are categorical. However, the rest are advanced, there are two types of advanced programs, advanced-linked, where the program pretty much guarantees a prelim position for you(this is the majority of advanced programs, you can usually identify the prelim as med-prelim/neurology), the rest are advanced positions where you have to arrange your own prelim position- this is a minority of programs, the only one I can recall right now is Partners Neurology, and if you're competitive enough for Partners you shouldn't have issues finding a prelim position.
There are a ton of advanced only programs. I haven't run the numbers but to me it seems like it is at best 50/50.

Check this site out @Ibn Alnafis MD . Research programs to your hearts content. https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/search/programSearch.do