Applying or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Prowler

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on the border of submitting my application, but wanted to get feedback on whether or not I should take a gap year. I'll just list my info. Any feedback helps.

sGPA- 3.10
oGPA- 3.05

DAT
AA-21
TS-21
BIO-22
GC-20
OC-21
RC-22
QR-19
PAT-19

Two-hundred+ of hours of community service (Youth wrestling, Soup Kitchen's, Red Cross, Flint Water Crisis, etc.)

10 shadowing hours.

I am concerned about spending all this money on applications if it is not worth it. Shadowing hours are low, and I've retaken a few classes. Definitely have an upward trend in GPA (last 45 credit hours 3.64), but I feel like I need more shadowing hours and dental related community service. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree- you need more shadowing hours. 10 is insufficient.

You don't need dental-related community service though....regular community service is fine. I have zero dental-related community service, but have received multiple interviews.

DAT is good. Science GPA is good.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah think it'd be best if you worked towards getting at least ~50 shadowing hours before applying, or else it'd be hard to convince admission committees that dentistry is truly what you want to do. But no need for dental-related community service.

If you can get that done within the next couple of weeks, I think you should still apply this cycle. A little on the late side, but your GPA/DAT should still be good enough to warrant a few interviews. Would be better than putting dental school off for another year, unless you actually want to take that gap year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the border of submitting my application, but wanted to get feedback on whether or not I should take a gap year. I'll just list my info. Any feedback helps.

sGPA- 3.58
oGPA- 3.24

DAT
AA-21
TS-21
BIO-22
GC-20
OC-21
RC-22
QR-19
PAT-19

Two-hundred+ of hours of community service (Youth wrestling, Soup Kitchen's, Red Cross, Flint Water Crisis, etc.)

10 shadowing hours.

I am concerned about spending all this money on applications if it is not worth it. Shadowing hours are low, and I've retaken a few classes. Definitely have an upward trend in GPA (last 45 credit hours 3.64), but I feel like I need more shadowing hours and dental related community service. What do you all think?

Someone I know got into dental last cycle with a 19AA and 8 hours of shadowing. Why not you? Apply and see how the dice rolls. Best of luck!

Unfortunately, there's no way to verify shadowing. Go ahead and apply.