applying this late?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunkyu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it's worth the effort and money to apply this late?
please help!

Members don't see this ad.

If you think that you have a substantial chance, go ahead and apply! It all depends on how confident you feel about your application/numbers.

thanx for the reply.
I don't know where to begin though.
What's the first step to be taken?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have your mcat scores and everything in order, start researching various schools that you are interested in (quickly because it is late in the game). Gather their average numbers, programs they offer, and various other things. Then fill out your online accomas application at accom.org. You will need to send them your transcript, so that they can verify everything (verifying can take in upwards of a month). On the application you will indicate what schools you are applying to, and when it is verified it will send it to the schools. Start gathering LOR from profs and physician to send to the schools. Hopefully this can get you started :thumbup:

I too am applying late in the DO school process. For those of you who say that it depends on your numbers...what kind of numbers would be "good" at this point in the game? Submitted AACOMAS early november and is still "pending"

I don't think it is too late to apply to osteopathic schools, assuming you have all the other aspects of your application ready to go (e.g., rec letters). But you must decide really soon. Things take time, including sending official transcripts, writing/polishing your personal statement, not to mention getting verified by AACOMAS. Always be aware of each school's deadline, and definitely take that into consideration when choosing where to apply. DO schools tend to get a flood of applications early in the calendar year, when many applicants start sweating bullets at the thought of not getting into medical school. So you are not too late, but definitely don't drag your feet on this - decide soon.

I agree with trypto. It's getting pretty late in the application cycle, but if you want to give med school a shot, don't wait any longer!

megswinter82, if you're still "pending" with AACOMAS, I'd call them and find out what's holding up your application.

Definitely start getting LOR's lined up, especially from a DO -- a lot of people seem to have problems finding a DO letter, so put that first.

gl, I'd be happy to try to help you guys out if you PM me. A few of my friends at undergrad are also applying this late.

raDiOnut

megswinter82, if you're still "pending" with AACOMAS, I'd call them and find out what's holding up your application.

I applied on Nov 1, and i am still pending, i called AACOMAS and all they would tell me was that it takes 4-6 weeks for verification.

megswinter82 said:
I too am applying late in the DO school process. For those of you who say that it depends on your numbers...what kind of numbers would be "good" at this point in the game? Submitted AACOMAS early november and is still "pending"
rough "competitive #'s": GPA 3.3, MCAT 24 (and people get in with #'s lower than that...these are averages)
also remember DO schools like to see mature applicants so ECs and LORs are v.important if your #s are marginal.