You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Applying to ~100 medical schools
Started by letsgoblue2015
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I give it three posts until a race war begins. 
Secondly, if you are indeed serious, I highly discourage this. I applied to 40 schools and was so swamped in secondaries. You wouldn't have enough time to complete all the secondaries in an effective manner. I had one interview, and it was at the school I spent the most time completing the secondary.
You would be much better served picking 25 schools, maybe even just 20, and then putting all your resources into making those secondaries absolutely outstanding.

Secondly, if you are indeed serious, I highly discourage this. I applied to 40 schools and was so swamped in secondaries. You wouldn't have enough time to complete all the secondaries in an effective manner. I had one interview, and it was at the school I spent the most time completing the secondary.
You would be much better served picking 25 schools, maybe even just 20, and then putting all your resources into making those secondaries absolutely outstanding.
I wasn't trying to be racist..sorry about that
So you're saying it will be impossible to complete secondaries for 100 schools? All I will be doing is working on apps, nothing else.
So you're saying it will be impossible to complete secondaries for 100 schools? All I will be doing is working on apps, nothing else.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You realize that by applying to 100 schools, you will be applying to a large percentage of schools that have an almost 0% chance of accepting you? Kind of pointless. If you want to go crazy, the upper limit is probably like 40-50 schools.
It would be a waste of money. Invest in the MSAR and target your application to schools near your stats.
You will be burnt out doing secondaries after 10 of them, there is no way you would be able to do 100 and still be able to devote the time needed to make sure they are appropriately targeted for each school.
You will be burnt out doing secondaries after 10 of them, there is no way you would be able to do 100 and still be able to devote the time needed to make sure they are appropriately targeted for each school.
I'm not applying to many reaches..mainly just normal schools that accept out of state. All I was saying is i'm not an under represented minority, so like my chances are not particularly high like theirs are.
Don't listen to the naysayers. Your chances increase with each school you apply to.
Diminishing returns
Your chances also increase with every lottery ticket you buy.....
Last edited:
Dude are you serious? That is not enough. You gotta go ahead and apply to ALL the medical school. That should greatly increase your chances since you are not black. If you were black, I would say just apply to your top 5 schools, since acceptance into medical school is kind of automatic for URMs.
How big is a secondary application? There would definitely be schools that I would put my all out effort into, and those are a list of about 30 schools that have my stats range. The others would be playing my odds..because who knows right?
Good luck with that. Get the MSAR. Narrow it down. You'd be a fool to apply to that many schools. If you're not going to put all of your effort into a secondary application, there's no point in applying to that school unless you just enjoy throwing away money and wasting someone's time.
$3500 primary. Roughly $8000 for all secondaries. Hope you're independently wealthy.
$3500 primary. Roughly $8000 for all secondaries. Hope you're independently wealthy.
I'm not applying to many reaches..mainly just normal schools that accept out of state. All I was saying is i'm not an under represented minority, so like my chances are not particularly high like theirs are.
Are there even close to 100 "normal schools that accept out of state," even if we assume that grades/MCAT are not a factor?
Money ain't an issue, only my time. Seems like the consensus is it will be too much work. But no one has said anything about the similarities in secondary applications.
I'm not applying to many reaches..mainly just normal schools that accept out of state. All I was saying is i'm not an under represented minority, so like my chances are not particularly high like theirs are.
Understood. I'm sure your stats are average to below average, but as long as you have a plan, execute wisely and you will be fine. It will be expensive, but small price to pay.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
$3,724 exactly! Insane...$3500 primary.
D
deleted526486
$3,724 exactly! Insane...
That's more than I spent on the entire application process... MCAT, primaries, secondaries, flights, hotels....
Please don't do this. Take the time and resources you have to decide what you need to improve on your application such that you have a successful cycle without needing to apply to an exorbitant amount of schools.
That's more than I spent on the entire application process... MCAT, primaries, secondaries, flights, hotels....
lol
Last edited:
would make an interesting mdapps profile
Please don't do this. Take the time and resources you have to decide what you need to improve on your application such that you have a successful cycle without needing to apply to an exorbitant amount of schools.
The thing is I don't want to take a year off of school. I'm even applying to some DO just in case
And why not?The thing is I don't want to take a year off of school. I'm even applying to some DO just in case
I hope you do apply to 100 school so you can send them crappy secondaries and not get in anywhere. You close minded racist *****
I hope you do apply to 100 school so you can send them crappy secondaries and not get in anywhere. You close minded racist *****
Thanks bro
Money ain't an issue, only my time. Seems like the consensus is it will be too much work. But no one has said anything about the similarities in secondary applications.
There will obviously be some overlap. However you will be surprised how many different questions schools ask and how much time it takes to personalize the essays.
It will be a struggle to churn out that many quality, personalized essays. I hope you are a wordsmith and self-reflection type otherwise you're in for a rough couple months.
No problem glad i can help 🙂Thanks bro
100 schools? You must have Elliot Rodgers level money.
No he has Donald sterling money (get it)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
🙂
Last edited:
I'm sorry you're so butthurt. Here's some facts: with my stats and if I were of an African American descent, I would have an 84% chance of getting into medical school (https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf).
Instead because I'm Asian, I have a 28% chance.
Those are just facts, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I was trying to give you guys my reasoning on why I am applying to so many schools. If I had an 84% chance, i would not apply to even 30.
And I have many black friends..some of whom are in med school. I am not a racist.
Lol he said he has black friends..... You want a cookie?
Last edited:
2/10 would not read again.
Probably not the best idea. I would limit your schools to 20-25. 30-40 max. But as far as similarities go for secondaries, a few questions here and there are the same so you can technically reuse answers.
I thought about doing this. how low are you stats? you're going to hit a wall with the amount of schools that absolutely don't accept OOS students and expect them to have higher stats than IS residents. Secondaries are similar for the most part, but don't expect them all to be that way. Some of the schools have really nasty secondaries that'll really slow you down and having to dig and research every school to appeal to them gets really grating. if you're actually considering this you should have started secondaries over a month ago.
Don't do it! Mostly because I found out the hard way last year that, shockingly, most essays don't overlap enough to reuse. I didn't reuse one essay last year because all the prompts are just different enough that other school's essays don't fit well enough. Secondaries are soul-suckers and it'd be a shame to drain your soul when you'd probably have just as much success applying to 40 schools.
Check MSAR, weed out the schools that don't take OOS and that are out of reach.
The secondaries tend to overlap to some degree, I pumped out 20. It was a pain, but 40+ is doable if you space it out and start pre-writing now. Between the high tier and Schools that won't take OOS I think you'll be under 100.
Thou shalt never speak of the URM advantage, it is racist to speak of such things
The secondaries tend to overlap to some degree, I pumped out 20. It was a pain, but 40+ is doable if you space it out and start pre-writing now. Between the high tier and Schools that won't take OOS I think you'll be under 100.
Thou shalt never speak of the URM advantage, it is racist to speak of such things
Your decision is understandable.
Your answer: You can definitely reuse many. Depending on what factors attract you (research, volunteer, location, curriculum, etc.), you can tweak many secondary responses easily, especially if you're a good writer.
Advice: Start writing now--that advice would be given to even those who have better stats, not URM, and have a smaller school list. Look in the past forums for secondary prompts, and start writing really personal ones. (If you would like, you can make a spreadsheet and colorcode accordingly).
Your answer: You can definitely reuse many. Depending on what factors attract you (research, volunteer, location, curriculum, etc.), you can tweak many secondary responses easily, especially if you're a good writer.
Advice: Start writing now--that advice would be given to even those who have better stats, not URM, and have a smaller school list. Look in the past forums for secondary prompts, and start writing really personal ones. (If you would like, you can make a spreadsheet and colorcode accordingly).
It's funny...basically every racist comment starts with "I'm not racist" and is followed up with "I have black friends".
That is surprisingly accurate!
If you are in any way serious, don't. It is a serious waste of money and time. You could trim so many schools out of there for which your stats/geographic location are a huge longshot. This would likely not change your overall odds for acceptance by much. I think more important than number is that you break them down into categories (Reach schools, toss-up schools, schools for which you are very-competitive etc.) You say you are also applying to DO schools as well, so depending on your situation and interest there, that could be a great way to balance among the categories I mentioned. Best of luck.
http://www.troll.me/images/full-******/you-just-went-full-******-man-never-go-full-******-thumb.jpg
kidding gl OP
kidding gl OP
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP, don't listen to all these idiots on here.
I highly highly recommend applying to EVERY single medical school in the US, both MD and DO.
I ALSO recommend to apply to all schools in Canada as well. I mean sure you need a 4.0 up here to even be considered, but may as well increase your chances! Also apply to every school in Ireland, Australia.. and of course the good ol' caribbean.
You need to expand your geographic limits... I think with your poverty stats and non-URM status, applying to about 350 schools should get you in somewhere. Invest in some adderall and forget eating, sleeping and fapping for a couple months and you should be good to go in terms of completing dem secondaries.
Good luck brah!
I highly highly recommend applying to EVERY single medical school in the US, both MD and DO.
I ALSO recommend to apply to all schools in Canada as well. I mean sure you need a 4.0 up here to even be considered, but may as well increase your chances! Also apply to every school in Ireland, Australia.. and of course the good ol' caribbean.
You need to expand your geographic limits... I think with your poverty stats and non-URM status, applying to about 350 schools should get you in somewhere. Invest in some adderall and forget eating, sleeping and fapping for a couple months and you should be good to go in terms of completing dem secondaries.
Good luck brah!
Last edited:
OP, don't listen to all these idiots on here.
I highly highly recommend applying to EVERY single medical school in the US, both MD and DO.
I ALSO recommend to apply to all schools in Canada as well. I mean sure you need a 4.0 up here to even be considered, but may as well increase your chances! Also apply to every school in Ireland, Australia.. and of course the good ol' caribbean.
You need to expand your geographic limits... I think with your poverty stats and non-URM status, applying to about 350 schools should get you in somewhere. Invest in some adderall and forget eating, showering and fapping for a couple months and you should be good to go in terms of completing dem secondaries.
Good luck brah!
and just in case you don't get into a medical school you could try learning tribal medicine or becoming a witch doctor (they're called doctors for a reason 🙂 ). Use all your cash to invest a grass skirt, witch doctor mask, and you'll be ready to cure all the evil spirits worldwide.
I am also a ORM, and somehow, yes even us ORM, miraculously, against all odds, are able to get into medical school. I'm not so sure it is him that is the one that is butthurt.I'm sorry you're so butthurt. Here's some facts: with my stats and if I were of an African American descent, I would have an 84% chance of getting into medical school (https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf).
Instead because I'm Asian, I have a 28% chance.
Those are just facts, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I was trying to give you guys my reasoning on why I am applying to so many schools. If I had an 84% chance, i would not apply to even 30.
And I have many black friends..some of whom are in med school. I am not a racist.
Btw, how about Derrick Rose 😉
If you did not get into medical school, you have no one to blame but yourself. Don't blame the URM for your poor performance. You are not entitled to a med school slot, so no one is taking anything away from you.
Of course, obvious troll is obvious, as OP is clearly trying to steer this discussion into another URM debate and not actually about whatever fake number of schools OP is going to apply to.
Being at a disadvantage just because of the race you're born as and not winning the genetic lottery sucks. I know a ORM student with a 37/3.7 and a good app that got mostly waitlists and he applied super broadly. No entitlement is needed. When you do everything right down to dotting your Is and crossing your ts you should get into a school considering how many medical schools there are.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 2K