Applying to Anesthesia Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpringDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have question, I am interested in Anesthesiology, but I'm a 3rd year DO student and I havent taken USMLE Step 1 yet. I've only taken COMLEX step 1.

Now I read on previous threads that its a big mistake not to take usmle.

Its too late to take it now b/c I dont have time on rotations and i'm already studying for step 2 and I plan on taking USMLE step 2.

I was wondering what u guys think if I took USMLE Step 1 during fourth year and then do a transitional rotating internship and apply to anesthesiology positions during my transitional year?

I

Members don't see this ad.

I would study hard for USMLE Step II and do well on it, then apply to whatever specialty you decide on with COMLEX I, II and USMLE II.

You can look at 'Charting the Outcomes of the Match' for average USMLE scores. It will be updated after this year's match. In 2011, average USMLE II for matched allopathic seniors to anesthesia was 236. You want to score at least what that group is scoring. I would familiarize yourself with this document, and the version produced after this year's match, and plan your application accordingly.

Agree with above and will add that you need to make sure your scores, LOR's, and PS etc are all uploaded and ready to be submitted on the first day programs are allowed to download eras data.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no going back now. I fell its unlikely that you will perform well on the Step I after this much time away from the material and I don't think it is entirely necessary to go back. Take the Step II and rock it. That way allopathic programs have something to compare you by. Assuming the rest of your application is up to snuff then you should do alright.

Survivor DO

There's no going back now. I fell its unlikely that you will perform well on the Step I after this much time away from the material and I don't think it is entirely necessary to go back. Take the Step II and rock it. That way allopathic programs have something to compare you by. Assuming the rest of your application is up to snuff then you should do alright.

Survivor DO

+1, but I would also check with your school's guidance people and any upperclassmen/alumni who have matched anesthesia to see what they have to say about it.

Thanks for the advice! I will continue to study like crazy for Step II because I have the time. Hope I get at least 235!!

Thanks for the advice! I will continue to study like crazy for Step II because I have the time. Hope I get at least 235!!

235 is below avg for step 2. Aim for 250+