Applying to both DO & DPM programs at the same university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools like WesternU & DMU have both DO and DPM programs. How would it look or would it be allowed to apply to both of those programs at the same university/COM/CPM?
Stats: 3.84 cGPA 3.87sGPA 25 MCAT (8,7,10)

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't advise it. Take note that some professors at DMU who teach DO students also teach DPM students. You may end up having the same interviewer for both programs which will raise eyebrows.

Do you want to be a podiatrist or do you want to be a physician? Make that decision before you apply.

True. I really don't mind the letters after my name. I just know that I want to be doing surgery (doesn't matter if its feet and ankles, heart, lungs, bones etc). I realize that DO and DPM after completely differently fields, but surgery is my main goal. The reason I asked this question is because I want to stay in California (if possible) so WesternU is my first choice. Another question, what if someone were to get rejected from WesternU's DO program and THEN they apply to Western's DPM program. Any red flags? I know that the DPM cycle is much longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
True. I really don't mind the letters after my name. I just know that I want to be doing surgery (doesn't matter if its feet and ankles, heart, lungs, bones etc). I realize that DO and DPM after completely differently fields, but surgery is my main goal. The reason I asked this question is because I want to stay in California (if possible) so WesternU is my first choice. Another question, what if someone were to get rejected from WesternU's DO program and THEN they apply to Western's DPM program. Any red flags? I know that the DPM cycle is much longer.

From what I recall in my research of both programs, surgery isn't a guarantee in either DPM or DO.

If you're going to do this then I can only suggest applying to DPM programs that don't have an affiliated DO program to remove the risk of running into reviewers or admissions faculty who teach to both DO and DPM programs.

Or perhaps apply DO for one cycle, see what happens, then set your eyes on DPM.

Perhaps @pacpod or @ldsrmdude can give some sound advice on this idea.

Reactions: 1 user
DMU actually forbids you from applying to both programs in the same cycle. Not sure about WesternU, but it seems like bad practice in general.

Edit: source http://www.dmu.edu/cpms/how-to-apply/
"Please note: First-time entering students may apply to only one Des Moines University clinical program at a time (includes D.O., D.P.M., PA and D.P.T.). Multiple applications will not be accepted or processed."

Reactions: 1 users
DMU actually forbids you from applying to both programs in the same cycle. Not sure about WesternU, but it seems like bad practice in general.

Edit: source http://www.dmu.edu/cpms/how-to-apply/
"Please note: First-time entering students may apply to only one Des Moines University clinical program at a time (includes D.O., D.P.M., PA and D.P.T.). Multiple applications will not be accepted or processed."

Thanks for the info. I guess it would be a good idea to apply DO this upcoming cycle (as @AlteredScale said) and then go from there.

Thanks for the info. I guess it would be a good idea to apply DO this upcoming cycle (as @AlteredScale said) and then go from there.

I think it would be the smartest thing. As @ananasmed said, it's bad practice and you may run the risk of being caught applying to both which is something you don't want to deal with.

Good luck :)

Definitely agreed, unless your interest in DPM outweighs your interest in DO. The 25 is a little low for Western but with your high GPA, assuming your app is strong in all other categories, you have a great chance to get in somewhere.

Would definitely advice against applying to both DO and DPM at WesternU as we share 100% of the basic science faculty.

Met a number of podiatry interviewees during my AZCOM interview, and some of them actually applied to both DO and DPM programs but certainly not at the same school. Not sure whether it's a common practise to apply to both programs but it kind of makes sense since there isn't extra requirements beyond shadowing a DPM or a DO.