Applying to Critical Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkness123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just wanted some advice. My situation is... I've always loved pulm crit. Im a US IMG graduated with honors, residency in New York later chief then worked as a hospitalist. I applied two cycles for critical care/pulm. I didn't match. I then decided to work on my weakness i took ID at a prestigious university in California. I figured this would be a nice blend to stay in touch with critically ill patients. I'm completing my first year of ID and was wondering if I'd still be eligible for pulm/crit or just critical care? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I just wanted some advice. My situation is... I've always loved pulm crit. Im a US IMG graduated with honors, residency in New York later chief then worked as a hospitalist. I applied two cycles for critical care/pulm. I didn't match. I then decided to work on my weakness i took ID at a prestigious university in California. I figured this would be a nice blend to stay in touch with critically ill patients. I'm completing my first year of ID and was wondering if I'd still be eligible for pulm/crit or just critical care? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
I don't see why you couldn't do pulm/cc as long as a program takes you, but I don't know enough to say definitively.

You can apply to critical care after ID and it should only be a one year fellowship for you. I would think that'd be a solid combination ID/cc.

Seems odd you didn't match pulm/cc though especially as a chief. Did you do pulm/cc research and apply broadly?

I don't see why you couldn't do pulm/cc as long as a program takes you, but I don't know enough to say definitively.

You can apply to critical care after ID and it should only be a one year fellowship for you. I would think that'd be a solid combination ID/cc.

Seems odd you didn't match pulm/cc though especially as a chief. Did you do pulm/cc research and apply broadly?

I applied everywhere unfortunately I dont have much in terms of research. I'm a clinical guy not so much research oriented. My residency program didnt have a critical care program so I guess I wasnt a priority for other programs that have their own candidates. I have publications in CHEST and ATS but beyond that not much

I applied everywhere unfortunately I dont have much in terms of research. I'm a clinical guy not so much research oriented. My residency program didnt have a critical care program so I guess I wasnt a priority for other programs that have their own candidates. I have publications in CHEST and ATS but beyond that not much
Sorry to hear it, I know what you mean though, as I don't like research either. Sadly it seems to be the game we have to play though. Any chance you can find someone at your program now to do pulm/cc research with? The logistics of doing an ID fellowship at the same time might make that very hard, but maybe your program will be flexible enough if you do for example something with lungs and infections (obviously tons of possibilities here)? Hopefully others will comment as I'm also interested. Good luck OP!