Applying to derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a such thing as a lesser competitive derm program? Community based (or maybe smaller academic centers)?

How should those of us that would probably be lesser competitive applicants go about selecting programs to apply to; especially those of us coming from programs that do not have a home derm program or real department.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a such thing as a lesser competitive derm program? Community based (or maybe smaller academic centers)?

How should those of us that would probably be lesser competitive applicants go about selecting programs to apply to; especially those of us coming from programs that do not have a home derm program or real department.

Not really, they're all competitive

I recommend applying broadly (essentially any program you can possibly see yourself at)

For less competitive applicants, I strongly recommend doing a research year. The biggest benefit to doing one is making connections hopefully with a bigwig in the field. That often times can be the trump card for someone with a weaker CV

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No sleep med. I was offered a position at the sleep fellowship (they basically told me to apply and I would get the position) after rotating with the department (rotated there partly from my own history and interest, I have sleep apnea). I enjoyed the field.. its actually really interesting and people benefit from so much from it.

I kinda gave up on the idea of derm bc I didnt think I had a shot. I ve been feeling really motivated lately.

If you go to Google and search "Results of the 2016 NRMP Program Director Survey," you'll be able to find the statistics of all the people who matched into any residency. I also remember seeing another file where it lists all the dermatology residency, their programs, and other details about it.

What do you mean by lesser competitive? If you are talking about step1 scores there is a difference great difference between a 240 and 230 when it comes to matching in derm...