Applying to different fields...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WakeMedHeel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to apply to multiple fields of medicine in a certain locale. For example, I would like to do my residency in Atlanta. Assuming I was interested in a number of different fields, would it be possible to apply to the Internal Med program, along with a couple other programs in the same hospital?

I'm sure medical schools and residency programs frown on this but I was just curious if anyone had heard about someone doing this.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, it's possible, but you need to be careful with your letters of rec and your personal statement(s). You could either make them all non-specific (applicable to any field) OR have separate personal statements and rec letters for each field.

If you choose the latter option, be VERY careful. Every program director has a story of an applicant with letters/personal statement for a different field than the one to which they are applying. (i.e. ortho letters written to an EM program director)

Good luck!

Certainly its possible. However, as noted above - be careful. PDs might rightly question your commitment to their residency program if you would be seemingly just as happy in a different program down the street or an entirely different field.

Easier to do if you apply to different programs in different hospitals but there is no telling how well PDs know each other. Don't paint yourself into a corner about your love for specialty "X" - be suitably vague.