Oct 17, 2009
Status
I am thinking of applying to MD/DO school this summer.

Do you apply for DO programs thru AMCAS as well?
What exactly is the application process?

Many people say that MD is better than DO?
But I just want to be a physician no matter what and most patients do not really know the difference between the two degrees.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am thinking of applying to MD/DO school this summer.

Do you apply for DO programs thru AMCAS as well?
What exactly is the application process?
DO schools have their own application, I believe it's abbreviated AAMCOS. It's a LITTLE bit more expensive per school. I'm not too sure on the application process, but I've never read anything that led me to believe it was particularly different from the AMCAS. They calculate your GPA different, but for the better (they will competely replace the grades from retaken courses as opposed to averaging them as AMCAS does.

Many people say that MD is better than DO?
But I just want to be a physician no matter what and most patients do not really know the difference between the two degrees.
Good boy!

how difficult is it to get into a DO school?
DO schools typically have lower average GPA and MCAT scores, so in that respect, DO is easier than MD. DO schools are also often more welcoming to non-traditional students, if that's you.

If you want more advice on DO, I suggest checking out the Pre-Osteo board under Pre-Allo. Also, there is a subboard in Pre-Allo called "What Are My Chances?" and if you want to post your grades/scores, extracurriculars, and schools you're interested in applying to there, people will give you plenty of advice.

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status
Medical Student
It's AACOMAS. And their application process is very similar to that of MD schools, except you'll have to submit LOR to each school individually (unlike AMCAS which has a letter service that most schools utilize). But otherwise I agree with the rest of the above. :)

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2009
PA
Status
Attending Physician
It's AACOMAS. And their application process is very similar to that of MD schools, except you'll have to submit LOR to each school individually (unlike AMCAS which has a letter service that most schools utilize). But otherwise I agree with the rest of the above. :)
This.

Definitely check out the what are my chances and school specific threads to get more detailed information

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks. :oops:

CarlATHF

o hai
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2007
Deep South
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Having just done the same thing, I'll tell you what I've learned:

Just a heads up, many D.O. schools specifically require an LoR from a practicing D.O. If you haven't already done so, you may wish to consider shadowing a D.O. They have a mentor matching website somewhere, do a google search for it if you don't happen to know any D.O.'s personally.

The application process is pretty much the same. AACOMAS and AMCAS are pretty much indistinguishable from each other. That being said, you will have to cut down your personal statement a bit for AACOMAS because their character limit is like...4500 characters or something, as opposed to AMCAS having 5400 or something (the exact numbers escape me right now).

Good luck!

Mar 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Having just done the same thing, I'll tell you what I've learned:

Just a heads up, many D.O. schools specifically require an LoR from a practicing D.O. If you haven't already done so, you may wish to consider shadowing a D.O. They have a mentor matching website somewhere, do a google search for it if you don't happen to know any D.O.'s personally.

The application process is pretty much the same. AACOMAS and AMCAS are pretty much indistinguishable from each other. That being said, you will have to cut down your personal statement a bit for AACOMAS because their character limit is like...4500 characters or something, as opposed to AMCAS having 5400 or something (the exact numbers escape me right now).

Good luck!
This is sorta true, although I was accepted into two osteopathic schools with just an allopathic LOR. I would look into which schools require the letter, and go from there. Will a DO letter help?? Absolutely, but not always a requirement at a few DO schools...

Augustus

Removed
Oct 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
The biggest difference I've seen between admissions to DO schools and MD schools is the average MCAT score of matriculants.

It seems to me that most students who go to DO school could go to MD school if they spent more time studying for their MCAT.

The DO programs contain everything that the MD programs do with additional credits of Osteopathic teachings. And I think there is an additional year of residency for certain specialties.

However, at the end of the day there are no limitations of a DO degree when compared to an MD degree, except at certain medical schools that will only allow MDs to teach.