Applying to DO... this late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momentaryaffliction

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just want your opinion on applying to DO... this late.

Quick rundown of me:
CA res, CA public school grad '16
3.4s, 3.6o
EC:
- religious club involvement (dedicated 5.5 yrs including postgrad)
- current job @ clinic as MA and scribe and admin (we're short staffed) (1.5yr ongoing)
- sports med intern (1yr)
- lab research (2ish yrs)
- academic advisor (1yr)
- foreign mission trips twice (2 weeks each) to underserved pop's

I applied to 30 MD schools. 10R / 1 II (haven't heard back yet) / 1 waitlist for II / 18 Pending

Had passing thoughts of applying to DO school. My gut tells me to wait out this year, and if I don't get anything, I should re-apply dual MD-DO next year. Is my gut correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a letter from a DO, or have you shadowed one at the very least?

I have similar stats to yours (MCAT > 90th). Got waitlisted from MDs last year and was accepted DO this fall with 5 II's. Without fail I was always asked "why osteopathic medicine" at each interview and often on secondaries. It's a pretty crucial question I imagine. Maybe @Goro can confirm but I don't think you'll be able to give them a satisfactory answer without the shadowing to back it up. They still get lots of qualified candidates so a middling and desperate-looking MD applicant is not simply going to woo them with numbers.

Sorry it's been a rough cycle.

Some schools evaluate reapplicants in the context of their old app. If you submit a weak application this winter and they ask "what changed!?" when you reapply in June you'll have a bad answer. Unless you're in a big rush ride out this app cycle and submit a great DO app in June.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a letter from a DO, or have you shadowed one at the very least?

I have similar stats to yours (MCAT > 90th). Got waitlisted from MDs last year and was accepted DO this fall with 5 II's. Without fail I was always asked "why osteopathic medicine" at each interview and often on secondaries. It's a pretty crucial question I imagine. Maybe @Goro can confirm but I don't think you'll be able to give them a satisfactory answer without the shadowing to back it up. They still get lots of qualified candidates so a middling and desperate-looking MD applicant is not simply going to woo them with numbers.

Sorry it's been a rough cycle.

Some schools evaluate reapplicants in the context of their old app. If you submit a weak application this winter and they ask "what changed!?" when you reapply in June you'll have a bad answer. Unless you're in a big rush ride out this app cycle and submit a great DO app in June.

This answer is super helpful- thank you so much. That last paragraph is exactly my gut feeling--I don't want to submit a duddy DO school application only to have to reapply next year with the need with some marked improvement. I will continue thinking about my plans for this next year, if I don't hear back.

What is your MCAT?

MCAT 508

Hi all, just want your opinion on applying to DO... this late.

Quick rundown of me:
CA res, CA public school grad '16
3.4s, 3.6o
EC:
- religious club involvement (dedicated 5.5 yrs including postgrad)
- current job @ clinic as MA and scribe and admin (we're short staffed) (1.5yr ongoing)
- sports med intern (1yr)
- lab research (2ish yrs)
- academic advisor (1yr)
- foreign mission trips twice (2 weeks each) to underserved pop's

I applied to 30 MD schools. 10R / 1 II (haven't heard back yet) / 1 waitlist for II / 18 Pending

Had passing thoughts of applying to DO school. My gut tells me to wait out this year, and if I don't get anything, I should re-apply dual MD-DO next year. Is my gut correct?

Depends somewhat on which DO you’d apply to.. I think you could have a shot at some of the newer schools now (MUCOM, ACOM etc) but other than that no it’s pretty late and while you have solid stats they are similar to several of the older DO school averages, many of which have been conducting interviews and accepting people for several months now. I’d save the cash and re apply next time unless you’re fine with going to any DO school in any location.

According to the ADCOMs here, yes.

It is not too late for LECOM, apparently; I just got an email encouraging me to apply.

If you can quickly shadow a DO and snag a letter, it's not too late.

Its too lae. Save your cash. You will probably be happier with your results next cycle.