May 2, 2012
Status
I've seen a lot of posts about applying to MPH or PhD programs, but who is applying to DrPH program. If you are applying for fall 2014 please comment. Where are you applying, have you receive an acceptance, if so where?

Aug 26, 2013
Status
Non-Student
One program I applied to was for a DrPH, Colorado School of Public Health in Community and Behavioral Health. Haven't heard anything regarding my application yet, not even that they have received it.

Dec 2, 2013
Been a long time lurker on this site and found it very informative. Finally getting around to applying this year.

Undergrad: Top 10 US public school, gpa 3.7, economics
Grad: Masters from top school in the UK in economic development
Work experience: 10 years in poverty and economic research, 6 years in Africa in for an international organization, 3 years in the US on Healthcare Reform
GRE: Q168, V164, W4.5
Schools Applying to: Johns Hopkins, Columbia (submitted), GW, Harvard

I found myself somewhat limited in where I could apply as I don't have a MPH, alhough I have taken a few grad level public health courses in the last few years for fun. I also have been out of school for a good part of a decade, so a little over overwhelmed at the prospect of being a student again. Not sure at all what my chances are but I hope my years of work experience can balance out some of my other deficiencies. Will be happy to update as things progress.

MolBio

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2008
Status
DC, if you are planning to do health economics with your move into public health, you may want to consider doing a PhD instead. The DrPH is mainly an applied degree intended for those who want to do public health practice, program work, field work, etc. You may know this better than I, but I feel like the "applied" side of money matters has more to do with budgeting, financing, accounting and more administrative roles whereas the "research" side skews towards economics. All of the public health economists I've met are PhD economists.

In most other public health sub-fields, the DrPH and PhD are relatively interchangeable but I think some schools are starting to make a more conscious effort to distinguish them and you may find yourself having to contort your curriculum if you want an economics focus.

FWIW though, I think your qualifications are outstanding and you shouldn't have any problem getting into top programs for both.

Just my 0.02

MPH1985

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2007
Washington DC
Status
Non-Student
I applied to 7(?!), yes 7 DrPH programs, with a focus in envir health. Those programs are Harvard, Pitt, Columbia, Texas, Hopkins, GW, and UIC. I applied last week to make the scholarship deadline, so now on to the waiting game. Good luck to everyone that applied.

OP
M
May 2, 2012
Status
So far I've applied to two (Columbia & Tulane). I plan to apply to GW, Texas and Harvard. Good luck everyone!

Nov 10, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
i'm only applying to harvard. mostly for poops and giggles, as i don't think i stand a chance, but there you go. currently at hopkins. wasting more time before applying to med schools, as i'm not ready and won't be for next summer's app cycle. i've begged columbia for an extension on the deadline, but have heard nothing back. my guess is they'll laugh and say no, but i've had good luck asking before (applied to emory mph 6 months after the deadline and got accepted within 2 hours). good luck, all!

emedpa

GlobalDoc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2001
Taking an Away team....
Status
Post Doc
There are several distance DrPH programs out there as well which allow one to work full time and take 1 class/semester or so with a few short required on campus seminars. I know folks attending the one at boston university. I looked at DrPH but decided DHSc allowed me more of a focus on global health and am 3 yrs into a 4 yr program at this point.

Stories

Life Afficianado
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Los Angeles, CA