Applying to endo next year, until then should I do a GPR or work for a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdmgsr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year DDS student and I want to apply for Endo specialty programs in the next cycle (to start in 2015). I didn't apply this cycle mainly because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, and also I was running out of money. I'm a canadian student studying in the US, and can't really get any loans. I'll have one year between dental school and endo specialty(given that I'll get into an endo program) and I was wondering if I should apply for a GPR to fill that one year, or if I should work. I've heard of new grads making upward of 100k+ their first year out, which is much more appealing than the $50k that GPR programs offer. Any input would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year DDS student and I want to apply for Endo specialty programs in the next cycle (to start in 2015). I didn't apply this cycle mainly because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, and also I was running out of money. I'm a canadian student studying in the US, and can't really get any loans. I'll have one year between dental school and endo specialty(given that I'll get into an endo program) and I was wondering if I should apply for a GPR to fill that one year, or if I should work. I've heard of new grads making upward of 100k+ their first year out, which is much more appealing than the $50k that GPR programs offer. Any input would be much appreciated.

If you're absolutely certain you want to apply to endo next year, an AEGD/GPR would give you the best chance toward helping you get in next year. Not all programs put the same emphasis on it, but from my experience it seemed to be an important part of most programs interview selection process.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're absolutely certain you want to apply to endo next year, an AEGD/GPR would give you the best chance toward helping you get in next year. Not all programs put the same emphasis on it, but from my experience it seemed to be an important part of most programs interview selection process.
I agree with td2014. By all means do an AEGD/GPR. A lot of times, it's not the salary that's important, but the experience and what you can put on your CV for the future. I've seen over the years that specialty programs lean toward candidates who have more experience under their belts. Best wishes.