Applying to endo next year, until then should I do a GPR or work for a year?

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by jdmgsr, 09.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.

Thanks to Crack the NBDE

Thanks to QbankDMD
  1. jdmgsr

jdmgsr 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm a 4th year DDS student and I want to apply for Endo specialty programs in the next cycle (to start in 2015). I didn't apply this cycle mainly because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, and also I was running out of money. I'm a canadian student studying in the US, and can't really get any loans. I'll have one year between dental school and endo specialty(given that I'll get into an endo program) and I was wondering if I should apply for a GPR to fill that one year, or if I should work. I've heard of new grads making upward of 100k+ their first year out, which is much more appealing than the $50k that GPR programs offer. Any input would be much appreciated.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. td2014

td2014

Dentist
    If you're absolutely certain you want to apply to endo next year, an AEGD/GPR would give you the best chance toward helping you get in next year. Not all programs put the same emphasis on it, but from my experience it seemed to be an important part of most programs interview selection process.

Newgoalsdentdoc likes this.
  4. Newgoalsdentdoc

Newgoalsdentdoc 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I agree with td2014. By all means do an AEGD/GPR. A lot of times, it's not the salary that's important, but the experience and what you can put on your CV for the future. I've seen over the years that specialty programs lean toward candidates who have more experience under their belts. Best wishes.

About the ads