Applying to fellowships with J1 visa

Started by gohabsgo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gohabsgo

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everybody

I'm a canadian in my 3rd yr of PM&R in the US on a J1 visa. Will be applying to sports med fellowships in the US and canada. I believe canada will issue the statement of need since if I match into a 1 yr ACGME accredited fellowship, it'll count as fulfilling RCPSC requirement (since PM&R is 5 yrs in canada and 4 in the US).

But I plan on applying to fellowships in Canada as well. How does this work with regards to the J1 and return of service etc.

Any advice on the whole process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
 
Hey everybody

I'm a canadian in my 3rd yr of PM&R in the US on a J1 visa. Will be applying to sports med fellowships in the US and canada. I believe canada will issue the statement of need since if I match into a 1 yr ACGME accredited fellowship, it'll count as fulfilling RCPSC requirement (since PM&R is 5 yrs in canada and 4 in the US).

But I plan on applying to fellowships in Canada as well. How does this work with regards to the J1 and return of service etc.

Any advice on the whole process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
If you got into a Canadian fellowship.
.you would just return to Canada. The 2 year home requirement for j1 simply means you have to go back to Canada(OE whatever country sponsored your SON) for 2 years before you can return to the US.
 
If you get into Canada you don't need to do return of service, you would just come back home. The only thing would be you would have to stay in Canada for 2 years after you finish your PM&R residency.
 
Hey everybody

I'm a canadian in my 3rd yr of PM&R in the US on a J1 visa. Will be applying to sports med fellowships in the US and canada. I believe canada will issue the statement of need since if I match into a 1 yr ACGME accredited fellowship, it'll count as fulfilling RCPSC requirement (since PM&R is 5 yrs in canada and 4 in the US).

But I plan on applying to fellowships in Canada as well. How does this work with regards to the J1 and return of service etc.

Any advice on the whole process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

As others have stated, the return to home country presence requirement is two years but it is only relevant if you intend to practice medicine in the United States. The US would check to see if you want home for two years.

As for a fellowship in Canada, fine, BUT you should know that fellowships in Canada cannot be used to top up your US training. That is, a fellowship in Canada probably won't count as your fifth year. Imperative you contact the RCPSC credentials unit for complete information.