How to get a J1 visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossled

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a canadian soon to be MS4 at a USMD. Lord willing I will be doing a residency in usa (either FM or psych) and interested in coming back to Canada for practice. My question is for residency, I will be on a J1 visa, how do I go about getting this?

Members don't see this ad.

You will get into residency and the liaison person at the hospital GME will submit an application to ECFMG. You will log in to ECFMG website (OASIS), do the paperwork, and eventually receive a DS-2019 form, and that's it. Pretty straight forward.

A word of advice, though: stay away from J1. Do everything you can to get H1B (this you can do as a USMD). It will make your life much easier years from now. You will thank me then, but I'll just say: "buy me a beer!"

Reactions: 1 users
Stay away absolutely from J1 visa. you will destroy your life unknowingly with this disaster. just like i did mine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stay away absolutely from J1 visa. you will destroy your life unknowingly with this disaster. just like i did mine.
Why were you on a J1 when you are a dual US/CAN citizen?

Please explain why? I am interested in working in Canada, and FM.

You will get into residency and the liaison person at the hospital GME will submit an application to ECFMG. You will log in to ECFMG website (OASIS), do the paperwork, and eventually receive a DS-2019 form, and that's it. Pretty straight forward.

A word of advice, though: stay away from J1. Do everything you can to get H1B (this you can do as a USMD). It will make your life much easier years from now. You will thank me then, but I'll just say: "buy me a beer!"
Why stay away from J1, Ive never heard any problems with it.

The J1 has a stipulation:

Plenty of people get around that stipulation, you just have to apply early and go to an "underserved" area - multiple Canadians from my residency stayed in the US after J1 visas.

You can only get the H1B if you've finished Step 3 and you can't register for step 3 until you've graduated. Not possible if you're matching straight out of med school, only if you've got a year off.

If you're planning on going home to Canada after, a J1 is just fine. I had a J1 with no issues and returned home to Canada, could have also stayed in the state I trained in which had "underserved" communities, including the one I trained in. Many of my canadian co-residents stayed after their J1s with no issues.