Applying to Hunter post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcl157

jcl157
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have been accepted to the program, what was the app process like? Just want to get a general idea on the items required for apps. Not sure if letters of recommendations are required... and when the apps are due.

I'm planning to apply as a second year post bacc b/c i took most of the pre-reqs already. the only ones missing are bio and orgo... but after reading some of the threads in this site... it seems that those 2 are the hardest... do you think that i need to take gen chem 1 and 2 and physics all over again to do well in orgo and bio? i'd rather not take that route... but if i have to... i guess i don't have a choice :(

i graduated in 2003 ... took both chem classes in my freshman year.. and physics in my sophomore year.

Any advice/help would be awesome. thnx.

Members don't see this ad.

jcl157 said:
For those of you who have been accepted to the program, what was the app process like? Just want to get a general idea on the items required for apps. Not sure if letters of recommendations are required... and when the apps are due.

I'm planning to apply as a second year post bacc b/c i took most of the pre-reqs already. the only ones missing are bio and orgo... but after reading some of the threads in this site... it seems that those 2 are the hardest... do you think that i need to take gen chem 1 and 2 and physics all over again to do well in orgo and bio? i'd rather not take that route... but if i have to... i guess i don't have a choice :(

i graduated in 2003 ... took both chem classes in my freshman year.. and physics in my sophomore year. Any advice/help would be awesome. thnx.

if you are new york resident you should look into city college's post bac at cuny...good program....

jcl157 said:

i graduated in 2003 ... took both chem classes in my freshman year.. and physics in my sophomore year.

Any advice/help would be awesome. thnx.

hunter was weird, i sent in a basic application and they just accepted me, but didn't notify me that I was accepted :) I don't know if that was the case because I'm a NY resident but you should definitely give them a call as CUNY websites seem to lack information sometimes :)

if you don't mind, what did you get in Gen Chem and Physics? Did you take Physics with Tuts? I think going through physics once is enough torture so if you got in the B/A range I would just take that grade, besides the postbacc advisors at Columbia said it themselves that med schools rarely put a lot of weight on physics. Same for G.Chem, if anything you can always audit the lecture if you need a review on some topics. if you don't have to, don't retake the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
i took general chem and physics in 1991. I just went back to school starting Summer 2004. I took Ochem and Bio in Fall 2004. You don't need to worry about what you learned in gen chem/physics since the little info you need from those courses will come back to you and it is only going to help on 1 chapter in Bio and maybe 1-2 chapters in Ochem.

The Bio is taught by one professor and her exams require some thinking which is great if you plan on taking the MCAT. Make sure you nail the essays. Her clas is challenging not hard.

Ochem is a mixed bag:
Santoro - reputation as a poor professor but easy grader. But this is Ochem and you don't get an A by just going to lectures and reading a book.
Grohman - mixed opinions on teaching but exams are difficult with a large curve
Phillips - known to be a great and thorough professor. she offers workshops after all of her lectures which are optional.

I took Santoro not knowing his reputation and I have to say if I had do it all over again I would pick him.

Read the "Hunter Hunter Hunter" thread. I'm not a post-bacc.

jcl157 said:
but after reading some of the threads in this site... it seems that those 2 are the hardest... do you think that i need to take gen chem 1 and 2 and physics all over again to do well in orgo and bio? i'd rather not take that route... but if i have to... i guess i don't have a choice :(

Aladdin Sane said:
hunter was weird, i sent in a basic application and they just accepted me, but didn't notify me that I was accepted :) I don't know if that was the case because I'm a NY resident but you should definitely give them a call as CUNY websites seem to lack information sometimes :)

if you don't mind, what did you get in Gen Chem and Physics? Did you take Physics with Tuts? I think going through physics once is enough torture so if you got in the B/A range I would just take that grade, besides the postbacc advisors at Columbia said it themselves that med schools rarely put a lot of weight on physics. Same for G.Chem, if anything you can always audit the lecture if you need a review on some topics. if you don't have to, don't retake the class.

Hello Alladin Sane... I got As on G. Chem and a B+ on physics but that was about 3 years ago! So I don't know how comfortable I will be taking orgo at once...