Applying to ICO and Opt schools-Really need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FocusOD

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anyone has applied there? And i've retaken classes (Human Anatomy 1 plus lab and Micro plus lab ) that I didn't do so well in due to family matters during that time and Im retaking them all this semester(. Unfortunatley I was away from school so I missed so much info and I recieved a F in both Anatomy's and W/F from Micro. So my question is, does ICO look at the recent pre-req grade or do they balance out the new grade with the old grade? Will the F's and WF's hurt my application even if I retake them and get A's on them?

My GPA's good (3.6) and also, does being black help when applying or no? I know the schools look to balance the minority settings and its low right now.

Btw, I'm planning on taking the OAT's.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.6 gpa is pretty good considering you did bad in Anatomy and Micro bio. I dont think it will hurt you THAT much, but I am quite certain they will ask you what happened there. Besides, if you have a pretty good OAT score, im sure they can overlook the bad grades if you do better the second time. I applied to ICO, and I cant exactly remember if they asked if you've failed or retaken the course, but I know some other schools did.

As to being a minority, neither ICO nor the other schools mention anything about that issue. I dont think it helps being black. If you look at the past history of accepted students, some years have black students while some years do not.

Hey thanks A LOT for your help aDubs, but do you know if the schools look at the recent grade or take the old one and balance it out with the new one?

Members don't see this ad :)
you're going to have to ask the school that one. I dont want to give you an answer Im not 100% sure with.

Cool, I plan on calling them over the weekend. Thanks again

Btw what school are you currently in?

I know that ICO is very particular about the trends in your grades.....so for instance, getting a F or W much earlier in your academic endeavor does not have much weight when applying to a school three or four years later.....but getting one recently may raise an eyebrow (especially when it's a pre-req)....however, if you have a very good excuse for getting those grades that you did....and do very well on the OAT in those specific pre-req sections, you should be fine.....Good luck:thumbup:

Im going to NECO. ICO was my second choice. The facility is pretty impressive at ICO, but the scene around the school isnt that livest. Thats why I chose NECO (Boston).

Cool, I plan on calling them over the weekend. Thanks again

Btw what school are you currently in?

ICO will look at all your grades. It will certainly help if you retake those pre-req's and do well in them. I know that bad grades earlier on can be compensated for (yes, even F's), but that's not to say that it's easy, or won't be an issue; you will be asked to explain them if you get an interview.

Don't count on anything other than merit to get you in. I started out with a bad record but will be going to ICO in the Fall. Its good that you already have a 3.6 GPA.