Applying to MD/PhD programs...

Started by wlknslrn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wlknslrn

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a graduating from a small liberal arts school with 2 degrees, Biocehmsistry & Molecular Biology and Health Science. I have been going back in forth for the past year whether or not I want to go PhD or MD/PhD but I decided I'm setting the next two years aside to prepare for an MD/PhD program (not MSTP). I have a 3.53 GPA. I've done research at my school for one semester but have an internship at a highly respected cancer center in Philadelphia which I should get a publication from. Otherwise I don't have any. I'm currently trying to get a job as a research tech. I know I still have to get clinical experience and community service which I'm planning to do. I was wondering if I should get an MS or just prepare well for the MCATs. Also if I should just find shorter research positions to get pubs from or will a job be better. Any information or advice would be helpful.
 
You need a more sustained research experience (aim for at least 2 yrs if not more). This could come from an MS, research tech (you'd have to have your own project(s)), an R&D type of job, etc. Publications are always a plus but not a necessity.

Take the time necessary to get a strong MCAT score, especially in your case (GPA-wise). Aim for a score in the (90th-95th+ percentile).

Get the necessary clinical exposure to show the adcoms that you want to be a physician, not just a scientist.