Applying to MD schools + post bac program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellybean13

wiked
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This spring/summer I will be applying to medical schools as well as one post bac program. My post-bac is at my state school, which is a huge long shot for me at this point, and is my dream school. If I was accepted to the post-bac I would withdrew my applications.

Is it strange and/or frowned upon to apply to both medical school and a post-bac at the same time?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I do not think it is strange at all. I also did that when I was applying. However, I did not withdraw all my med school applications after getting accepted into the post-bac. Who knows, something could happen. It is perfectly acceptable to have a back up plan. In fact, one school asked me what I would do if I didn't get into medical school that year.

You would choose the post-bac over medical school if you were to be accepted?

You would choose the post-bac over medical school if you were to be accepted?

With my stats [sGPA 3.29, cGPA 3.49 and practice MCAT ~30] acceptance to my state school is pretty unlikely.

With cost of attendance and personal reasons taken into account I most likely would take the post bac acceptance over another DO/MD acceptance.

If I am not accepted to their post bac then, well, I guess it just wasn't meant to be :)

Members don't see this ad :)
With my stats [sGPA 3.29, cGPA 3.49 and practice MCAT ~30] acceptance to my state school is pretty unlikely.

With cost of attendance and personal reasons taken into account I most likely would take the post bac acceptance over another DO/MD acceptance.

If I am not accepted to their post bac then, well, I guess it just wasn't meant to be :)

When you say "another DO/MD acceptance" you make it sound like getting into a post-bac is equivalent to an MD acceptance, as if after the post-bac at your state school you would have a guaranteed spot in their MD school. I've never heard of this being true.

Sorry but this sentence makes no sense. What will you be doing the post-bacc for anyway if not most likely to bolster your chances for future medical school acceptance? There is no reason anyone in their right mind should turn down a medical school offer in favor of some post-bacc program. It is fine that you're thinking ahead and preparing a back-up plan. I just feel like your earlier comment makes little sense.

Sorry but this sentence makes no sense. What will you be doing the post-bacc for anyway if not most likely to bolster your chances for future medical school acceptance? There is no reason anyone in their right mind should turn down a medical school offer in favor of some post-bacc program. It is fine that you're thinking ahead and preparing a back-up plan. I just feel like your earlier comment makes little sense.

It does make sense. I really want to attend my state school and if I feel that their post-bac is the only way to do that, then I may choose that over a DO/MD school acceptance [MAYBE].

I know I probably sound like a crazy person, but being there for my family throughout the next 4 years, which are going to be extremely hard times, is more important to me. I know I will attend a medical school eventually.

I also have no idea what will happen when I apply, but I do know that my science GPA is really low for my state school.

Also, my state school has absolutely told me that in lieu of me messing up in their post bac (<27 MCAT and <B+) that I will definitely be accepted. I am not sure if this is true for every single person in the post bac program, but I know it has been true for the vast majority.