Applying to med and grad school at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ImmunoRocks

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

If you apply to both med school and grad school (biomedical science programs) at the same time, is that generally frowned upon? Have people done this in the past? Any opinions or comments would be helpful!

Thanks in advance,
a still-deciding ImmunoRocks 🙂
 
My friend did that last year, applying PhD as a backup. Since grad school application is usually later than MSTP (MD), I'll say focus a bit more on MD application early on. And yes, as long as you don't mention it, no one will know if you are applying to grad school simultaneously.

ImmunoRocks....ummmmm... interesting name..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Rocks as a verb or noun?

Eric, what happened to your old avatar?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ImmunoRocks, whose lab do you work in? David Raulet, the NK cell guy?

Eric, is that an egg? if hatched, what's it gonna be? chicken? bird? 🙄 🙄 :laugh:
 
I did the simultaneous MSTP/PhD app this year. Yeah, they don't know unless you tell them. The only cross-talk that happened at a place where I applied to both was that the PhD program used my app from the MSTP portion (MCATs, essay, etc) to consider me for the PhD. They also didn't charge another fee. For the most part, however, the two are separate and are on different schedules.
 
ImmunoANT said:
Eric, is that an egg? if hatched, what's it gonna be? chicken? bird? 🙄 🙄 :laugh:

Experiments on development often use chickens, and sometimes quails. You cut a small hole in the shell and operate on the developing fetus. This is typically tolerated very well if you do things delicately.
 
The "rocks" could be either a verb or a noun. =) I just decided to make it ambiguous.

ImmunoANT: I'm actually not in an Immuno lab 🙁 , but I work in the Bertozzi lab instead (biochem). Haha, but I'm definitely an Immuno MCBer! There is no other emphasis like Immunology. 😀


ImmunoRocks