Applying to Med School as a Grad Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I posted this in the standard MD forums, and was advised to put this up here so see what you all think. :)

Just wondering if there are any grad students out there that have successfully applied to med school? I'm going to hopefully start this fall as a PhD student in Comparative Pathology, after doing 2 years of post-bacc. Post-bacc costs was killing me, and besides I like research anyway.

This program will require me to take at least 4 med school courses. It also allows me to take a few upper division classes as electives. So my question is, would med schools frown upon my PhD program because I have taken med school classes? Additionally would upper division classes, taken for my PhD electives be used for my graduate GPA or my post-bacc GPA when applying to med school.

Lastly, has anyone here successfully applied to an MD/PhD program halfway through their PhD program? I've heard that some schools allow PhD students who have passed their qualifying examinations to be admitted into the MD/PhD program, where they do their next 2 years with the med students, then do their thesis, and finish off with the 2 years of clinical rotations. If this is possible, are there any things that I should do to make myself a more competative applicant, other than the usual GPA/MCAT scores?

So yea, looks like a long road ahead, but sure is exciting. Of course any other insights would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, after I recommend you post in this forum because of all the wonderful help you'll receive, there is nothing but cricket chirping. Hence, I will weigh in.

relentless11 said:
Just wondering if there are any grad students out there that have successfully applied to med school?

I successfully went to med school after my PhD, so yes. Some of my PhD student colleagues also went, although to different schools. I was fortunate enough to be accepted to my preferred state school, which was cool with me not actually being done with my PhD when I applied. One of my friends applied to the Texas schools and only one of them (Texas Tech) would touch his application before he had his diploma in hand. Hence, he went to Texas Tech.

relentless11 said:
So my question is, would med schools frown upon my PhD program because I have taken med school classes?

The only thing they would frown upon is if you perform poorly in these classes.

relentless11 said:
Additionally would upper division classes, taken for my PhD electives be used for my graduate GPA or my post-bacc GPA when applying to med school.

To echo another poster, these would be in your grad GPA, unless your program has some bizarre twist to it.

relentless11 said:
Lastly, has anyone here successfully applied to an MD/PhD program halfway through their PhD program? I've heard that some schools allow PhD students who have passed their qualifying examinations to be admitted into the MD/PhD program, where they do their next 2 years with the med students, then do their thesis, and finish off with the 2 years of clinical rotations. If this is possible, are there any things that I should do to make myself a more competative applicant, other than the usual GPA/MCAT scores?

This does happen, but it is by no means a common event. I only know personally of two people who have pulled it off, and one of those cases inolved sheer nepotism. So don't bet the farm or anything else on getting into an MD/PhD program through the "back door".

My question for you is this: why are you getting the PhD? If you want to be a physician-scientist that is fine, but if you really just chasing an MD acceptance then I would really rethink your approach. If you're good enough to go from PhD to MD/PhD then I would venture that you are good enough to go straight to MD. Three or four years for a PhD doesn't sound too bad right now, but you will quite literally be trapped during the process.

Then, if you're like me, you find yourself starting residency at age 31, and realizing that you could be an attending now if you hadn't gone for that f****n' PhD!