Applying to med schools before postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InScrubs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this question applies to most people on this forum, although I haven't found a sufficient thread regarding it.

First, I'm starting a DO postbac this fall, and I just finished applying to DO schools this week. I put in the coursework section of my app what classes I plan on taking in my postbac this year. My question is do what other steps do I need to take to ensure that schools give me a chance by waiting for after my postbac grades come in before making a decision. I dont want to take another year off.

Secondly, should I even bother applying to MD schools. I was a borderline applicant for a DO postbac, 3.0 gpas, 30 MCAT, so i am not confident that MD schools will take me seriously before i complete my postbac, if then.. My only deficiency is grades.

Thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think this question applies to most people on this forum, although I haven't found a sufficient thread regarding it.

First, I'm starting a DO postbac this fall, and I just finished applying to DO schools this week. I put in the coursework section of my app what classes I plan on taking in my postbac this year. My question is do what other steps do I need to take to ensure that schools give me a chance by waiting for after my postbac grades come in before making a decision. I dont want to take another year off.

Secondly, should I even bother applying to MD schools. I was a borderline applicant for a DO postbac, 3.0 gpas, 30 MCAT, so i am not confident that MD schools will take me seriously before i complete my postbac, if then.. My only deficiency is grades.

Thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Course work wise, just get that 4.0 and keep the schools updated. Work on any other deficit if you have any. Impossible to provide details without also having details. Talk to adcoms to find out their opinions as well.

Apply to your in-state MD schools if there are any. Outside of those, you probably don't have a good chance at matriculating into a MD school.