Applying to medschool while abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how/if anyone submitted their applications in May/June and then went abroad in September and either flew back to do the interviews or such ?

Any suggestions or advice? Or is it pretty much dont'-g0-abroad until you have had majority of interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't help myself, OP...Aboard what? The Robert E Lee? The Calypso? The Bismark? The Edmund Fitzgerald? The Southern Cross?

Extra point sf you know the songs these came from!
;)

Reactions: 3 users
I applied the 2015-16 cycle from overseas. It's manageable if you can get your secondaries all finished EARLY. I wasn't complete until late September, so I didn't start hearing back about interviews until January, which made it a pain to try to schedule a trip back - and I could only fly back once because of time and expense. I ended up taking the trip before I'd heard back from nearly half my schools. After I got my first II, I also emailed all the schools I hadn't heard from that I was flying back and it was my only chance to interview - 2 responded with II's, but it was a desperate move and I don't recommend it. I was also applying from a place with little internet access, so that was another challenge that hopefully you won't have.

So yeah, my advice is get your app submitted as soon as the AMCAS opens and pre-write the secondaries to submit them early, too. After that, schools are really understanding about scheduling interviews for a 2-3 week period in Dec/January as long as you explain your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
There were interviews I had scheduled where I only had 2-3 weeks notice. The flights were highly elevated for a domestic flight. I can't imagine what an international flight would cost. If you have the money and time to blow, I guess all the power to you. If you're a quality candidate (34+ equiv, 3.7+, great research/ECs and well written prim/secondaries), expect to see at least 8 interviews with a good school list. Now imagine if you were complete in July and starting getting invites for August back to back? I interviewed with a chick who was coming off of 4 interviews in 2 weeks. I can't imagine that sort of stress on top of hoping for the best in international flights.

I applied and then went to Oktoberfest. Luckily I wasn't a stellar applicant and didn't have any interviews until November.

I applied this current cycle while abroad. This is how I did it and my advice to you if you are seriously considering it:
1) Make sure you have enough funds (10K would be plenty). Some IIs might come flying at you from a place you really like and you may have to fly in just for that one interview.
2) Apply to a LOT of schools. I applied to ~40. This allows you to a) cast a wide net b) have a chance at having more interviews you can squeeze into a specific time frame you will be in the States
3) Prewrite AMCAS materials & all secondaries; submit first day or ASAP
4) When you receive an II, try to schedule it right away so you don't lose dates to other interviewees and so that you have time to plan ahead. Call the office to see if they can accommodate your situation (most of them are quite accommodating). Try to schedule similar geographic regions together but it may not happen. I had one where I finished a CA interview and hopped on a plane to the East coast (red eye) and went straight to my interview as I landed...
5) It sucks but if you have the stamina, back to back interviews are the most efficient. I would fly in for 2 weeks and knock out 10 interviews. Rinse & repeat.
6) Enroll in a frequent flier program…hotel rewards program…stay with hosts…attend free dinners/pizza parties…Uber or public transit…

Goodluck :)

Reactions: 1 user
I can't help myself, OP...Aboard what? The Robert E Lee? The Calypso? The Bismark? The Edmund Fitzgerald? The Southern Cross?

Extra point sf you know the songs these came from!
;)
Kicking it old school, Goro. Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, CSNY, but was Young part of the group then?? I share a Pandora Account with my parents. ha ha ha

This is certainly manageable to do, if you do apply early and apply very broadly, regardless of how competitive you are. It will also depend on where you are based during the application season. For example, being based in the UK will be much more reasonable than being based in say, South Korea.

I applied from abroad this year while getting a master's degree in the UK (still ongoing). In total, I ended up making 3 additional trips other than winter break (did 2 interviews then) for flying back to the States (two in November and one in February). I was fortunate to get into my top choice school in late November, so I was able to turn down 2 interviews that I was offered later in the season. Ticket prices for me were actually quite reasonable and comparable with domestic flights, even for last minute fares, since I was using miles with AA and my parents are small-business owners who have AA frequent flier cards. I also had elite status with AA, which really helped with getting on standby flights, choice seating, etc. Booking tickets on miles is also great for switching dates and the flights themselves after you initially book, as long as you're keeping the same origin and destination. This is really good if you end up getting another interview and want to schedule it near another trip you're planning back to the US.

If you do plan to study abroad while applying, I have a few other pieces of advice not mentioned so far:
1.) Try and base yourself in a location with nonstop flights to a number of US destinations, ideally with one carrier. Having a direct flight to your interviews is so much less stressful and physically taxing. Of course, you can't always control for this with the schools you choose to apply to, but try your best to make this happen. If you can bunch your interviews, save the schools in obscure locations (Providence, RI; Milwaukee, WI; Burlington, VT etc.) for when you're already traveling around in the States.

2.) Invest in comfort. Medical school interviews are a big deal and it is absolutely worth paying more for a few luxuries if you think they help you stay rested and perform better in your interview. This would include small things, like getting a neck pillow for a west-bound international flight, but also opting for an Uber/taxi instead of navigating a new public transit system with overhead baggage, staying in a hotel, and investing in Global Entry to avoid long lines at immigration. This will save you time and effort, which I'm sure you'll appreciate after an international flight. You have plenty of other occasions to save money.

3.) Use miles whenever possible, and if it's cheaper than booking with money. ThePointsGuy has a calculated conversion for points to miles, based on the credit card and carrier that you're using. If you don't end up having enough frequent flier miles to pay for international flight tickets, look into using a travel agent. Paying for tickets means that you're stuck with the dates that you initially book though, so this isn't a good idea if you're booking flights in September for an interview date in November. A lot can happen in between that time.

4.) Consider the effect of jetlag based on time zones and the direction that you're traveling. For example, there is a 5-hour difference between the UK and the East Coast, so it actually made sense for me to stick with UK time when I was visiting the States for interviews for a short amount of time. It takes about 1 day per time zone to adjust for jetlag. You should keep this in mind when traveling.

5.) Set up a Google Voice account in the US before leaving for abroad. This will allow you to make calls to cell phones and landlines for free, via Google Hangouts on your phone or your computer, for not only keeping in touch with friends/family, but also for calling admissions offices and coordinating logistics from abroad. Phone calls are much more effective than emails with scattered responses spread across time zones.

To be honest, I actually had a great time applying from abroad. It was an interesting challenge, it was a nice ice-breaker with other applicants on my interview days, and interviews and admissions staffs seem to really appreciate the effort that I was making to come visit their school. It really goes a long way in demonstrating interest to the school, and it added pressure for me personally to go out and collect as much information about each school as I could, since I was already traveling 7+ hours to make the visit. The plane ride over was also a good time for me to collect my thoughts about what I wanted to communicate to the school during my interview, and to gather some intel on each school before visiting.

I hope this helps! PM me if you have any other concerns or questions.