Applying to Occupational Therapy Masters Program help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bizfutureOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of completing the science and psychology prerequisites to apply to the Occupational Therapy. I have a bachelor degree in business and I'm looking to change careers. I wanted to know does the Admission committee consider only your bachelor degree gpa or your prerequisite gpa combined with it. My bachelor degree gpa is on the low side so I'm concerned. I know the minimum for most programs is a 3.0 so will they combine my bachelor gpa with the prereq's that I'm now completing?

Members don't see this ad.

The schools will look at your overall bachelor GPA and the prereq GPA separately. The bachelor GPA is used as a cut-off point for applicants.

The schools will look at your overall bachelor GPA and the prereq GPA separately. The bachelor GPA is used as a cut-off point for applicants.

True but not true. I believe you are right that most schools will look at them separately, rather than averaging your new grades in to get a new GPA. But, not all schools use a strict cut-off. Plenty of schools will look at the whole application. If you had a bunch of lower grades in college (let's say, science grades) and then you took a few rigorous science classes (A&P I and II, Neuroanatomy, etc.) and got As, that should help offset your earlier performance. At the very least, it can give them confidence that you are capable of science-related schoolwork.

Members don't see this ad :)

Are you absolutely sure? I know many people that go back to school that have degrees in other areas for example "Post baccalaureate Programs" for the purpose of boosting their undergrad gpa.

If anyone knows more about the gpa issue PLEASE respond!!

I think it really depends on the field, whether schools use a central application system through a professional organization, etc.. (In cases like that they often recalculate your GPA as they put together a package that goes to the schools.) It looks like for med school, post-bac courses can increase your GPA. I don't think OT programs (or all of them) average all the grades together in that way, though. Application to OT programs is not standardized the way it is for med school, and there are major inconsistencies when it comes to application procedures, assessment of applications, even pre-reqs you have to have.

Regardless, taking a bunch of hard classes and doing well should strengthen your application, even if you have a UGPA and a post-bac GPA.

You can try contacting the schools in which you have interest and see what they say.

Are you absolutely sure? I know many people that go back to school that have degrees in other areas for example "Post baccalaureate Programs" for the purpose of boosting their undergrad gpa.

I guess I should've elaborated more. The overall undergrad GPA can be used to assess your progress throughout your undergrad. For example, if you freshmen and sophomore years were sub-par, but during your junior year, you started getting straight A's, that will give them confidence that you have improved in your studies and that you are now mature enough to handle their courses. Also, if you have any pre-reqs that are still not completed, they can look at your overall transcript and predict how you'll do on the remaining pre-reqs (depending on what they are).

Your OT apps for most schools will be submitted through OTCAS (the new centralized application service). They calculate ALL your grades into one total GPA. This includes any repeated courses, like if you got an F, and re-did the class and got an A, the will calculate the A AND the F. The good news it that OTCAS will submit a total, AND a breakdown of your grades so they can see your undergrad, your post-bac grades, and your natural sciences or pre-requisites. In my interview they had all my grades and I could discuss each schooling experience. So short answer, ALL your grades count together so you can improve you overall GPA, BUT I'm pretty sure you need to have at least the minimum required Bachelors GPA for the program, or you will have to take the GRE. Hope this helps!

P.S. Midwestern in AZ has a minimum GPA of a 2.75.

Hi guys!
I am going to apply for the 2016 cycle this summer. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into my chances of acceptance to OT school.
Here are my stats:
Overall GPA: 3.83
Prereq GPA: 3.87-4.0 depending on the school
OT hours: 150 childrens hospital, 20 school setting
GRE: not completed yet

My top two choices are Thomas Jefferson University and University of Pittsburg.

I really don't want to have to take a year off between undergrad and OT school. If anyone has any info on accepted scores into these programs or my likelihood of being accepted into any programs please let me know. :)

Thanks,
Christine

Your OT apps for most schools will be submitted through OTCAS (the new centralized application service). They calculate ALL your grades into one total GPA. This includes any repeated courses, like if you got an F, and re-did the class and got an A, the will calculate the A AND the F. The good news it that OTCAS will submit a total, AND a breakdown of your grades so they can see your undergrad, your post-bac grades, and your natural sciences or pre-requisites. In my interview they had all my grades and I could discuss each schooling experience. So short answer, ALL your grades count together so you can improve you overall GPA, BUT I'm pretty sure you need to have at least the minimum required Bachelors GPA for the program, or you will have to take the GRE. Hope this helps!

P.S. Midwestern in AZ has a minimum GPA of a 2.75.

@bizfutureOT , I was in your position a year ago. Its a stressful process but it is totally worth it and definitely possible to get accepted with a lower overall/undergrad GPA! Your best bet is to call or email the admissions counselors for the schools to which you are applying and ask how they specifically calculate/weigh GPAs and what the cut off and average is for accepted students. Every school does it a little bit differently, including schools that use OTCAS. For example, I know some programs will accept your highest grade if you retook a class, even though OTCAS averages them together. Some programs only look at your last 60 credit hrs as your overall GPA, some only count your GPA when you received your bachelors degree and will disregard any post-bac work when calculating your overall GPA, while others (most) will average any post-bac grades with your previous grades from bachelors for your overall GPA.

Sorry if thats a little confusing. Basically, all schools do it a little differently, and some will explain it on their website, but for the most part contact admissions counselors to ask and find which schools you might have the best chance at and whose admissions process will best benefit your situation. Good luck!

Hi guys!
I am going to apply for the 2016 cycle this summer. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into my chances of acceptance to OT school.
Here are my stats:
Overall GPA: 3.83
Prereq GPA: 3.87-4.0 depending on the school
OT hours: 150 childrens hospital, 20 school setting
GRE: not completed yet

My top two choices are Thomas Jefferson University and University of Pittsburg.

I really don't want to have to take a year off between undergrad and OT school. If anyone has any info on accepted scores into these programs or my likelihood of being accepted into any programs please let me know.

Thanks,
Christine

Hi Christine, I'm a first year student at TJU and I absolutely love it! Looks like you're off to a great start, thats an impressive GPA! One thing I'd recommend is that although you have a large amount of observation hours already, many programs (including the ones you've mentioned) prefer to see a variety of settings/populations over a ton of hours with only one age. Even if its only for a few hours, it will probably benefit you to try and diversify your experiences by observing OT in an adult and a geriatrics setting. Good luck! :)