applying to ortho and step 2 ck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chap20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

i have a question about applying for ortho during the next match year (2010). Now I think you apply for residency during the September 2010 time, and interview late October-January. My school doesn't require me to take Step 2 ck until the end of December 2010. Does it matter if I don't have step 2 ck finished before I apply? I got a 259/99 on step 1, so i wanted to know because if its not required to have step 2 done for residency applications and interviews, I would rather wait instead of taking the risk of not doing as well on step 2 and offsetting my score on step 1 a bit. Or do residency programs make you have step 2 done or at least score pending before you apply so they can decide who to interview and who to take? And do most people already have step 2 ck done before they apply for residency?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am just starting to research everything I need to know for the match process next year.

Members don't see this ad.

You did pretty good on step 1, probably wise to let that speak for you, and take the CK later. The requirement for Step 2 CK and CS to be done before the rank order list deadline is only for IMGs.

-Dr. T.