Applying To Out-Of-State Public Pharmacy Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemguy79

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who pursued schools that were public out-of-state schools, how did you decide to apply to those schools? Cheap Tuition, Interest in Living in that part of the country, School Ranking, etc. I'm a resident of North Carolina, so UNC is my top choice. However, they're incredibly competitive and I want to keep my options open. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

For those who pursued schools that were public out-of-state schools, how did you decide to apply to those schools? Cheap Tuition, Interest in Living in that part of the country, School Ranking, etc. I'm a resident of North Carolina, so UNC is my top choice. However, they're incredibly competitive and I want to keep my options open. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Curriculum, rotation sites, prestige/ranking, and location.

Well my strategy when applying to Pharmacy Schools was to apply to as many as I could that I met their pre-req's. But I did also take into account the locations as well. I tried to pick places that I could honestly move to, and aimed for schools in warmer climate areas :) It was a good strategy for me because i was able to pick and choose the schools i wanted to interview at because i heard early on from one of my top schools. Although the public out of state schools will bemore competative because they are less likely to accept out of state students they are by far cheaper than the private schools, so for me i tried to appyl to mostly public schools. I was lucky enough to get into UNM, which only accepts 10-11 out of state students! Also another bonus is that some public schools, like UNM, allow you to becmoe a resident after your first year while your in school so then you get to pay in state tuition for your 2,3 &4th years. Which is a nice incentive over private schools.

Goodluck with your applications!

Members don't see this ad :)

UMD is ranked 9th in the country by USNWR, and every local pharmacist I know (most especially the 3 in management I know) think very highly of the school and its graduates. Since the market is becoming more competitive, that was by far the biggest factor for me.

Also, I already live locally (although there are 2-3 other pharmacy schools within commute distance of an hour or so). But it is out of state for me, so it is going to be expensive ($140k or so), however I do not need to worry about extra living expenses since I am married and have that covered :)

Location, prestige and curriculum for me ....

You've pretty much nailed all the main reasons. I am from NJ and will be attending Ohio State in the fall because of its ranking and its cheap tuition. The hardest Medical and Pharmacy schools across the country tend to be most competitive for those two reasons (aside from the ivy's).

Also - I was suggested to do my best to get into some of these high ranked schools because it will matter with the increasing surplus of pharmacists. As more and more people are graduating from pharmacy schools - competitive fellowships, residencies, and even retail opportunities will go to the pharmacists that graduated from more reputable pharmacy schools. Def something to consider.

Also looking at OOS schools in regards to them having lower tuition after getting residency make sure that state will grant you residency status after a year. In FL, in order to make up for lack of money in the public universities, the legislature recently stated that the schools will no longer grant residency status after a year, if you start the school with OOS tuition it then you always have to pay that if you come here. So double check that too.

I applied mostly to public schools, but I tried to keep my applications limited to the better schools. My next criteria was tuition. I got very lucky that my first interview was at Buffalo out of the 7 I had scheduled, and I got accepted right away, since that's where I really wanted to go. Their tuition is very very affordable, even for someone out of state (it was cheaper for me to go to Buffalo than go to one of schools in Pennsylvania, where I live already.)

My last criteria, oddly enough, was not going to a school south of Maryland. I really wanted to go somewhere that had a similar climate to Pittsburgh, maybe even colder. I'm allergic to the sun/heat for some reason.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Ideally, I'd like to go to the University of Washington for pharmacy school. However, they're incredibly selective for out of state students, so I want to keep my chances realistic. Finding out what criteria other applicants/pharmacy students have used has helped me finalize my list of schools for the upcoming application cycle. Danke!