Applying to PM&R Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

StressedMedStud

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about applying to PMR residency.

I was thinking to apply to IM category residency as a backup in case I dont match in PMR.

Now can I apply to categorical IM then just quit after 1 year if I match into PMR? OR do I have to apply to just prelim IM programs?

Thanks guys!
 
Last edited:
PMR usually interviews for the follow year, unless it is categorical. So, if you quit after a year of categorical IM then would either need to match into a categorical PMR program, find an open PGY2 position in a PMR program or possibly match for the year after. Pre-lim IM would be an better way to go, except Pre-lim or transitional positions are more competitive.

I hope that helps.
 
you can't you will either match into a advance/categorical PM&R +/- transitional/prelim yr or categorical IM. if you match categorically you will need that programs support to look for a spot... much easier to get from a prelim program(time off to interview..)