Applying to PostBac PreMed Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcapua2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice when applying to the top postbac pre-med programs.

Here's a lil bit of my academic stats:

University of Illinois at Chicago
BA in Anthropology, minor in Human Nutrition, 2009-2013 (GPA: 3.8)
MPH in Epidemiology, concentration in Global Health 2013-2015
Participated in research and presented at a forum, did lab work, held leadership roles in student orgs, and worked a couple of part-time jobs.
Currently working as a research assistant and as student manager while in grad school.
Didn't complete most of my pre-medical courses because I thought I was going to be something else, so now I want to take the pre-reqs and see how it goes.

I know it's a bit too early, but I've been researching a lot about post bac programs. I wanted to go straight after finishing my MPH (entering for 2015). For now, I intend to apply to Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Bennington, and Temple.

What do you think my chances are of getting accepted? I know some programs require standardized test (like GRE), while some don't. I didn't do too hot with my GRE.

Any advice on strengthening my application? What are other good postbac pre med programs out there? I know there a lot to consider (like finances, location, structure of the program, etc). But I just want to know from people (or if they know anyone) who are currently in a postbac program or successfully finished one.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Only took the ACT, and I forgot what it actually is. I believe is more or less in the 50th percentile. I really don't do well in standardized testing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered doing the Hunter college post-bacc? Seeing as how you haven't taken too many science courses in undergrad (as long as it's less than the equivalent of 15 credits... which is about 3-4 classes) you'll be able to get in. You also don't really need to take any standardized test either. You need to apply to CUNY itself and then submit a separate supplementary application for their post-bacc program. The reason I say this, is that if you are really gunning for Cornell or Stony Brook for medical school, they have a linkage program. Of course it's rather hard, but if I could, I'd definitely do it (I took tooooooooooo many science classes to be eligible for that track).

PS: Have I mentioned how cheap it is?

If going to a place like Bryn Mawr is important to you, you should consider taking the GREs to prove that you can handle standardized tests again. Provided you do well on those, you will likely stand a good shot at Bryn Mawr.

If going to a place like Bryn Mawr is important to you, you should consider taking the GREs to prove that you can handle standardized tests again. Provided you do well on those, you will likely stand a good shot at Bryn Mawr.

I second this. They require you submit some standardized test scores and place *some* weight on them. Standardized tests are a large part of medical education, unfortunately.